Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted a dog last night. She went up and down our stairs a few times until one time she slipped, we have wood floors. The next two times we tried to coax her into coming down she pee'd. I quickly ran to home depot and bought drawer liners to put on the steps and now there is good grip, but she still won't go near the steps. Treats are not effective. She is 50lbs coonhound. She has not poo'd yet today so we really need to get her outside. She can't stay upstairs forever. What do we do!?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Poor thing. I would close of anything you don't want soiled (bedrooms, bathrooms, closets, etc) and just let her be for the moment. She will come down when she gets hungry, thirsty, maybe even to go potty. She's just gotta muster up the courage. Eventually she will figure out that food and water are downstairs and I gotta go downstairs to get it. But I would also make sure she's not hurt. If she's limping or showing signs of pain, take her to the vet. If she's okay, then just let her come down in her own time. Don't put so much pressure on her.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
We have lots of steps, tri-level, but they are all carpeted. We talked about removing the carpet, so they would be wood, but I was concerned my wife might slip on them. Samantha runs up and down them, like they were designed by nascar, but when we first brought her home she wouldn't go near the steps. It probably took her three weeks before she decided she needed access to all levels, and she was very cautious on them for awhile. Now she shoots up and down them, full speed.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Defrost some hot dogs or other stinky delicious dog treats and put one slice on each step, and a whole plate full of slices three feet from the bottom step on the floor. Once you get her down, until she chills and gets used to it all, maybe let her stay downstairs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts