Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, It has started about a month ago, my dog simply won't eat from its bowl.

Eventually he does eat after a few tricks, but only if:
- I put rice in it
- I take the food out and try to feed him with my hand (at first he eats reluctantly but then normally from my hand)
- I scatter a few the pieces of the food on the floor (not too near the bowl)

He can just not eat for hours, and be very weak and rather not eat from the bowl, therefore when I notice that the bowl stays full we make him eat from it.

We tried replacing the bowl from metal to plastic, still no change.
We tried replacing his food, at first he liked it but soon after he didnt like it as well.

He does have appetite, that I know for sure because he does eat his treats or other foods very gladly.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
He is probably turning eating into an attention getting exercise. Since you accommodate by hand feeding him, in his mind his methods work.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had a little giggle at your dilemma. (sorry :) ) But only because I have been through it myself.
I agree with Laco. Your doggy has figured out that he gets extra attention and treats if he pulls this trick on you. He feels your concern and sees he gets your immediate attention. You will have to re train him that he doesn't need to pull this stunt.
This might sound a little cruel, but it will work. you just have to be persistent and show him that you are sticking to your guns. Don't feed him the whole day. No treats nothing. (just water) Then put the bowl down with his favourite food. Ignore him totally until he eats the food. (no matter if it takes hours) The only attention you must give him is a "eat your food" in a friendly firm tone. Once he eats it make a HUGE fuss. After a few days he will get it and realise that the sooner he eats the sooner he gets all the love and attention and play he wants. Which was his warped plan from the beginning :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts