Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have tried different brands of food with my doggo, but no matter what the situation is the same every time I bring home a new one. It goes like this:

1.) First 3 or 4 times he has the food he eats it like its the best thing he has ever tasted.

2) Shortly after he eats maybe half a bowl at a time, but still consumes the entire dish eventually.

3.) About halfway through the bag being gone he begins eating only once a day, if that. I have to put treats or something on top
in order to get him to eat. And I assure you, he is very hungry. He just doesn't want the dog food.

4.) We try another flavor or brand. Repeat.

I'd really like to get a food and stick with it, so can someone help me out with a solution? All food brands Charlie has had have been Purina, Iams or Science Diet. I currently have him on a Iams Proactive for mature dogs (even though he is only 5 I liked all the nutrients in the food). All of the foods we've tried have been dry so far. I am not opposed to trying something else. Also, yes, I have and still do feed him "people food." No trash foods, just eggs or freshly prepared bland meats. I usually do it to put on top of the food he won't eat otherwise. I know that it is likely habit forming, but Charlie is a very stubborn dog who will very literally starve himself if I let him. He has already lost weight in the past.

If anyone has a suggestion please feel free to share, the more the merrier!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Try a raw based diet! A holistic vet can probably tell you all about it. I do it for my two chocolate labs. The fresh aroma helps to increase appetite.

The freshest is raw, then freeze dried, dehydrated, canned, and then kibble.

If you really want to stick to kibble I would try something with more protein from animals meat. Science diet, purina, and Iams are all foods that are very high in carbs, and have harder ingredients for dogs to digest.

Dry Foods high in protein from animal meat are Farmina, Essence, Zignature, Orijen, and Acana.

Because these dry foods are higher in animal protein you may notice loose stool for a week or two. Goats milk, bone broth (no onions or garlic), Greek yogurt (plain, also some dogs don’t do well with dairy), and Firm up are great for firming the stool and helping to aid in transition.

But I highly encourage feeding raw. My dogs have been doing so well on it and they prefer it over any kibble.

·
Banned
35 Posts
You need to discontinue all table food. Mix in some warm water or a teaspoon of baby food into his dog food. Feed him at scheduled times and leave the food down for 15-20 minutes before picking it up, eaten, or not. Provide water but do not offer any food until the next feeding time. Repeat the above process. Do not feed anything else until he is eating his food regularly. Be consistent and be patient. He won't starve. And if this trick does not solve the problem, then schedule a visit to the vet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts