Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So i really need your help I don’t know where else to turn to. I adopted my doglast year in may from a shelter. She is a mix breed female medium height weighing about 16kg. She is such a pleasure, so energetic, so kind hearted and playful with other dogs and people and i give her enough attention and she is almost never alone because my parents live in out house also. I gave her proper training, i go to frisbee classes with her. Basically i would say i am a good owner.

We alsways have the same routine. I wake up, go down to parents apartment and eat breakfast while she goes do her business in backyard, then she pees again around 2,3 pm, then we usually do our walk either around block, or i take her out to nature so she can run freely and she poops and pees. And before bedtime around midnight i take her out to backyard and she pees.

All of a sudden she stopped peing in the evening for me, and now even in the morning she wouldn’ pee or poo in the backyard. She would do it in the morning only with my mom now, but in the evening not for anyone. I went to test our how far she would go and she literally held her poo and pee one time for 24 hours.

Two things to note: she is very dominant and she pees over everything on our walks and I mean every scent, even more than a male dog would pee to mark his territory, and the other thing to note is that when we do go out on a walk she pees and poops normally. My suspicion is that she deliberately wants to hold her pee so she can have more of it to spray over other scents when we are on our walks.

But I am lost as to why this has happened and I have no clue how to correct this behaviour. Any suggestions, pointers and tips are so so so very welcome!!

TL;DR
My dog suddenly only pees and poops exclusively on our walks and refuses to pee or poo in front of me in our backyard. And she used to do it normally before.

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could something have given her a fright in the yard, or do you have visiting wildlife?
Not really, only cats but she likes to chase them, and she is usually fearless, doesnt react much to loud noises or earthquakes. Thing is she did the same thing with me in our vacation house on the seaside, theres a small yard there also, she would pee in the morning with my mom, but did the same to me in the evening. And she started doing the thing a week before we went to that place. Kind of gradually. One night she would, then one night she wouldn’t, and then she stopped altogether.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could something have given her a fright in the yard, or do you have visiting wildlife?
Oh yeah and one thing also. When we do come to the bacyard and I tell her “go” she just jumps on me with her front two paws and wags her tail. Every night (or now morning) she does the same thing.

She jumps on people usually when shes excited or wants something.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Not really, only cats but she likes to chase them, and she is usually fearless, doesnt react much to loud noises or earthquakes. Thing is she did the same thing with me in our vacation house on the seaside, theres a small yard there also, she would pee in the morning with my mom, but did the same to me in the evening. And she started doing the thing a week before we went to that place. Kind of gradually. One night she would, then one night she wouldn’t, and then she stopped altogether.
This is going to sound odd, but something similar happened to me years ago with a young Beagle of similar weight. Never thought of things that might visit my yard, until one early morning I heard an owl hooting very close by. It turned out that there was a family of large owls living high up in a neighbor's tree. One swooped down for a closer look at the Beagle, and he ran into the house. TBH, that thing scared me too. It was huge!

After getting a night vision yard camera, I found that there were a considerable number of "visitors" to my fenced in yard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts