Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My one Malinois who is 18 months old I noticed tonight he was wobbly in his back end. He wasnt whining, he could still jog etc. When I felt the area I didnt feel any swelling, pinched it..no response to pain. He can still walk, jump play etc. Just after really playing with my neighbours Border Collie I noticed this. I have noticed this before but payed no attention to it. He was not completly lifting up his back legs so his nails were dragging, but then he was fine. What could it be? I have Glucousamine/chondriton but not sure how much how often to give him? He weighs 70lbs.

I called around a few vets for a quote on x-rays..$500. Sorry I cannot afford that right now.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I don't know if he necessarily needs an xray right away to diagnose it but he does need to see a vet. If you are pinching and he is not responding you could be dealing with something severe. I am sure a vet can perform better checks on nerve functioning (if that even made sense) for instance they know how a dog should react when pinching certain areas and the same for feet. I would not give him anything for it could mask the real issue but not cure it. He may, in the end, need an xray to check his spine.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Scooter did this and it quickly progressed to him being unable to walk.

He wasn't xrayed by vet #1 and they said he pulled a muscle....within a week he was falling over. Vet #2 did xrays... He injured a disk in his back. We ended up having to euthanize him.

$500 is steep for an xray or two. I've never paid more than $300 for xrays on any of my dogs.

I really suggest you find a way to pony up the money and get him checked, with a back injury time is crutial.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
171 Posts
He should be taken to a vet and given a complete check-up to rule out anything serious. It might be muscle tie-up from a lot of exercise. He might be getting dehydrated and need to replace electrolytes. There is supplements with electrolytes. Nupro has one. I give it to my dogs because they are very active and we live in a very hot area.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I cannot just pony up money when its not there. If it was I would of brought him to the vet already. Sorry. He is fine now. Isnt in pain and is more than willing run around and walk..etc. He can feel his back legs and when I move his back legs around he isnt in pain. I personally think he just pulled something. He went back to normal after he drank some water and cooled off. The vet looked him over a few times in the back end when I had him in for his yearly physical and he didnt notice anything. He does whine when walking, whimper..suddenly turn around and look at his back end..nothing.

I will just keep an eye on it but he always has walked weird. Both his brothers out of the same litter as well. It also wasnt wobbly tot he point where he was tripping over.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No the cracking did not go away. It sounds like when we crack a knuckle. He has been doing that for about a year. Doesnt seem to bother him. Just now he was outside ripping around the front yard at full speed. After wards the only thing he wanted to do was lay down and drink. He was walking fine...etc.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Well I found this website How to Recognize Hip Dysphasia in Dogs | eHow.com It says clicking it a clinical sign of Hip Dysplasia and so is the wobbly gait. The wobbly gate I only noticed the one time. Clicking only happens every now and again and he isnt in pain.
You have absolutely no way to know that. Dogs are very stoic about pain and have to be in pretty severe pain before they show it. Its a survival mechanism.

If it is HD starting I guarantee you dog is in som' level of discomfort...just my .02

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I spoke with my vet and he said that if any dog has HD it doesnt mean they are in pain. It all depends on the level of it. I had a German Shepherd growing up and he had HD when he was 1 and the vet said he wasnt in any sort of pain. Then 5 hit and he was in pain so he was placed on medication. I would know if my dog was in pain.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Well I spoke with my vet and he said that if any dog has HD it doesnt mean they are in pain. It all depends on the level of it. I had a German Shepherd growing up and he had HD when he was 1 and the vet said he wasnt in any sort of pain. Then 5 hit and he was in pain so he was placed on medication. I would know if my dog was in pain.
what did your vet say he thought was the problem?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well he said he would need x rays for sure but if he isnt limping all the time then they can wait. He also told me I would no if he is in pain since he is a very sensitive dog.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is a pretty well known thing.. we're doing neuropathology at uni at the moment, and I haven't studied yet so I won't give advice, but this is typical of the problem - weak after exercise, young dog.

Needs a vet right now.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well he isnt weak now and the weakness only lasted about 5 minutes. Hes been out running around like crazy since with no repeat excersise. If vets didnt charge an arm and a leg then he would of already been at the vet. Sorry but im not rich and dont think i should be to own a dog.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well he isnt weak now and the weakness only lasted about 5 minutes. Hes been out running around like crazy since with no repeat excersise. If vets didnt charge an arm and a leg then he would of already been at the vet. Sorry but im not rich and dont think i should be to own a dog. Vets shoulds realize not everyone can afford money upfront in a large chunk.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Thats what credit cards are for. The burden of providing credit and payments is not up to the vet. Imagine how many people default on payments.

Your the pet owner. Its up to you to be prepared. Blaming the vet.... Thats like blaming the mechanic because you can't afford the car repairs.

www.carecredit.com use this and get him xrayed.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I agree, yes vets are expensive but we had so many people sneak out and leave parvo dogs in the exam room, leave after having extensive work done on their pet and tell us they have no money, so we set up a payment plan, months later our lawyers are contacted. Some people do not care that money lost does not only go to the vet but to the equipment, other employees, meds, etc etc. I know it sucks. One thing I can recommend people do is take out a credit card when they want to purchase a pet and dont use it except for emergencies, we have two put on the side for our pets.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well I had a credit card pulled out for him and thats maxed out because of him. So dont say I didnt pull one out. I am not eligable for any other cards.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.