Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 11 year old chihuahua and dachsund mix that has just been diagnosed with kidney failure. The vet says that her bun is greater than
130, creatinine is 4.1, and her phosphorus is also high. He says that we could put the dog through a lot of unpleasant treatment which would include iv fluids and spend a lot of money and it's still not likely we'll have a good outcome with numbers that high. His recommendation is to take her home, make her comfortable, and feed her a diet of chicken and rice. She does nothing but lay around, will eat but throws up often, and will drink water.

Does his opinion seem reasonable and how long is she likely to live like this?

As hard as it is, I will accept it if nothing can be done. I don't
want to put her through a lot treatment with only a remote chance of helping, but I need to feel that I'm doing the right thing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Jancia, I experienced this with my 7 year old kitty this summer. We did leave him at the vet and they pumped fluid in him and he actually came back and did better, but it was only for about 2 days. He was wasting away to nothing. He did drink alot of water but would'nt eat for nothing. He was constantly naueaous the vet said that's why he wouldn't eat. He had a bad smell and my other cats hissed at him. We finally put him out of his misery. It was hard because he was alert and very loveable still. I couldn't stand to see him like that. Good luck you have to think how lucky you are that you've had her for 11 years. I know how hard it is. I'm going again through a tough time now with my 9 year old pitbull mix. She was just diagnosed with stage b4 liver cancer. It happened so quickly. She was fine and then started throwing up and having loose stools. They thought it was a stomach issue and then she got progressively worse, and I had to take her to the emergency vet on sunday last week, she stayed there until yesterday when I was able to bring her home. Now she is in hospice at my house. They started her on two heavy doses of chemo, but the doc told me she probably only has about a month left, in a perfect world. She wouldn't eat but with meds she is eating a little. I can't stand it. My goal was to get her well enough to bring her home, so she could at least be content until the end. I don't know what to expect next, but with the help of my attending vet, I hope I can do it. Now I'm just waiting, don't know what I'm waiting for, but I hope the signs are not so bad that I can't stand it. My next step is chemo next week, if she is healthy enough, but I really don't know. She is on so many meds, they all do something different. So I feel your pain. I just wish my Molly was 11 and not 9. sorry for going on so long, but I just wanted to let u know I feel for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. I am sorry about your cat and now, your dog. I
had a cat several years ago who had developed a blood clot. Chances for recovery were very slim, but I opted for treatment anyway which caused her great stress. It did not work and she died within a few weeks anyway. I have always felt that I made the wrong decision. I am now torn on what to do with my dog. If only they could tell us.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the support, unforunately we had to let Molly go today. She went down very hard in the middle of the night. I had to put her out of pain. It was very hard. I can't stand the pain. I don't think I could ever get another dog. It is too hard.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm sorry to hear bout your dog. I'm currently dealing with Mast Cell cancer S3. I was not given much luck as to the outcome myself. So I started searching online for an answer. I found this website www.herbal-treatments.com

This company is located in Austrilia but the office staff has been extremely helpful to me reguarding my situtation. I have started my dog on the herbal blend they suggested (bought through them) and to my vets supprise he's doing quit well. He's gained weight and his activity level is increasing. They might have something to help you as well. My only suggestion is to act fast and send them an email to see if they can help. They called me within 12 hours of me sending the email.

Good Luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts