Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pippy is a small probable rat terrier/dachshund mix. We rescued her 11 years ago and when we took her to get spayed the Vet thought she was about 3 years old which would put her at about 14 now. Last week she started having a terrible choking cough and when we took her to her Vet she had a severe pleural effusion with a possible lung tumor or tortion of the lung. Either way she was in terrible shape. She was given a diuretic and Theophylline to treat her. She seems to be responding well and her cough is much better. I just wonder given her age if I should pursue more tests and aggressive treatment which according to the Vet would involve major surgery. My husband thinks we should just let things run their course and just spoil her and make her happy as long as she isn’t suffering. I’m inclined to agree but I wonder if anyone has had a similar situation and what happened with your dog.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I know I would just keep her comfortable and not put the dog through major surgery that might only give her a short time and would be dangerous at her age.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts