Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, looking for a good canned dog food for a 2 year old Rottweiler with gastrointestinal motility problems. The veterinarian food is just too expensive at 4 cans a day and 4.00 a can. Any cheaper but still good foods you can recommend for GI problems?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are the symptoms of the stomach issue?
It began about a month ago with diarrhea and dehydration. They pinned it as gastritis. With antibiotics and a bland diet it went away and he seemed almost normal. About 10 days after finishing treatment he lost motility in his GI tract. So that is what we are dealing with now. Trying to find something he can digest with the help of metoclopramide three times a day.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
My hound had all kinds of stomach issues before I found out he was meat intolerant.
Have you tried a single meat source food. If its canned type food you are looking for maybe something like this would work for you. The 6 pound roll is around 17.00 You can get it a walmart safeway petsmart and petco. Its a single meat and very few ingredients.
Vital® Balanced Nutrition Turkey Dog Food Recipe with Peas, Carrots & Brown Rice

·
Registered
77 Posts
Both my dogs have sensitive stomachs and we use Natural Balance LID Kangaroo and Potato. It's a little bit more expensive, but now they do not have any GI issue. There GI issue were rounds of gas and diarrhea then periods of motility issue. It was all related to GI issue. This new food has them going regularly and no diarrhea. Also I would recommend an additive to the food that has probiotics. It helps get the GI tract back on focus.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I also have a hound with GI issues. I finally found a food for sensitive skin and stomach from President's Choice but not sure if it's available in the US (i'm in Canada). I also add Cannadase digestive powder to his food with good results.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both my dogs have sensitive stomachs and we use Natural Balance LID Kangaroo and Potato. It's a little bit more expensive, but now they do not have any GI issue. There GI issue were rounds of gas and diarrhea then periods of motility issue. It was all related to GI issue. This new food has them going regularly and no diarrhea. Also I would recommend an additive to the food that has probiotics. It helps get the GI tract back on focus.
That sounds awesome. The motility problem is the key thing I am trying to work with. He does well diarrhea wise on other GI foods but the motility is still being controlled with meds.

I have heard Honest Kitchen makes a base of food that is good for dogs with GI problems too...you just have to add your own protein source of choice. So many options!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have heard Honest Kitchen makes a base of food that is good for dogs with GI problems too...you just have to add your own protein source of choice. So many options!
Yes their food is good too, but my dogs like the kangaroo. The probiotics were a vet recommendation if they were having motility issue that didn't resolve themselves.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts