Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

At the vets last night we got the results of our little Lhasa Apso (Female, will be 3 in May, 4.5KG) allergy test. This was done as a result of a chronic ear infection shes suffered with for most of the year that we now know is caused by food allergies and boy, she's allergic to practically every common dog food ingredient. Im at work so dont have the complete list to hand but some of the things I can remember off the top of my head shes allergic to are beef, potato, salmon, rice, soybean, wheat, cows milk...there are more and most of them are the typical ingredients in all dog food, even the hypoallergenic sensitive stuff. We've been told its really the carbohydrate side that she cant process correctly. The vets advised us to move on to a home cooked diet of meat and vegetables (though obviously only certain ones as she's allergic to most things the soul!). I was going to get her some chicken and cook it up with some carrots, the vet recommended I start with that, but i'm really not sure what i'm doing (doesn't help i'm the kind of person that finds boiling an egg a task at times!). There's a lot of different advice online and I really dont know where to look. I was hoping someone could please help with a few questions:

Can I bake the chicken? or does it need to be boiled?
What other veg would be good to mix in?
Any ideas on how much "human food" (just how I refer to cooking it yourself!) to feed a dog of that size and how often? Do they need more or less of it than traditional dog food? I cant find anything helpful online

Has anyone else got a dog with so many food allergies? How did you manage it? What kind of things did you feed them?

I would really appreciate any advice. I want to do whats best for my wee best pal but I just dont know what i'm doing at all!

Thank you in hopeful anticipation!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Why bake/boil the chicken? Raw chicken in better for dogs (my opinion). You could try a raw food diet (not BARF, but food you prepare yourself).
In general (depending on activity and the dog itself) a dog that weighs 4.5 kg needs 90-135 g of food a day. My dog weigs 5kg and is suposed to eat 100-150 g, but because she is very active (2+ hours of walking a day) she gets about 170g if food a day.
Here is a link that could be useful if you do decide to feed her with raw food: http://rawfed.com/myths/switch.html

I hope you figure out what works best and is good for your dog!

Poslano z mojega SM-G800F z uporabo Tapatalk

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Agree with raw, if you're going to do it - take everything out of the dogs diet. Try it for a month at least, doesn't cost that much to feed a small dog. Have a read on how to start.

How to get started feeding a Prey Model Raw Diet - Raw Chat - PMR Articles - articles - Prey Model Raw

Dogs don't process veg very well - if at all. I've done meals with cooked carrot, turnip etc mainly for cosmetic reasons if other people feed my pup - and it goes out the way it goes in, in chunks. If you really want to try cooked diet, make a soup starting out.

Switching to raw effectively makes your dog sugar/carb/starch/wheat free.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Everyone,

At the vets last night we got the results of our little Lhasa Apso (Female, will be 3 in May, 4.5KG) allergy test. This was done as a result of a chronic ear infection shes suffered with for most of the year that we now know is caused by food allergies and boy, she's allergic to practically every common dog food ingredient. Im at work so dont have the complete list to hand but some of the things I can remember off the top of my head shes allergic to are beef, potato, salmon, rice, soybean, wheat, cows milk...there are more and most of them are the typical ingredients in all dog food, even the hypoallergenic sensitive stuff. We've been told its really the carbohydrate side that she cant process correctly. The vets advised us to move on to a home cooked diet of meat and vegetables (though obviously only certain ones as she's allergic to most things the soul!). I was going to get her some chicken and cook it up with some carrots, the vet recommended I start with that, but i'm really not sure what i'm doing (doesn't help i'm the kind of person that finds boiling an egg a task at times!). There's a lot of different advice online and I really dont know where to look. I was hoping someone could please help with a few questions:

Can I bake the chicken? or does it need to be boiled?

What other veg would be good to mix in?

Any ideas on how much "human food" (just how I refer to cooking it yourself!) to feed a dog of that size and how often? Do they need more or less of it than traditional dog food? I cant find anything helpful online

Has anyone else got a dog with so many food allergies? How did you manage it? What kind of things did you feed them?

I would really appreciate any advice. I want to do whats best for my wee best pal but I just dont know what i'm doing at all!

Thank you in hopeful anticipation!

Some vets should really be sent to jail for spreading such an insane amount of nonsense about immunity...

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
Reactions: Aspen726

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Raw would actually be the way to go. Cooked proteins and raw are very different, so even if you home cook, the proteins are still cooked so you will likely have the problems you do with kibble. Also, when you cook you cook out the nutrients from the food, so you still have to add a supplement back, in just the right amount to balance it out and add the nutrition back in. It can be quite hard to do correctly.

With raw, the proteins are uncooked, and the dogs body is able to use them correctly because its what their bodies are designed for. When fed in variety, all need is meat/bone/organs. Nothing more. Those supply all a dog needs. For some FYI on it, here is a couple of sites with raw feeding forums. Prey Model Raw - PMR dog food and Dog Food Reviews, Ratings and ComparisonsGo to the forums on this second one.

Dogs that have issues with cooked proteins rarely have issues with them in raw form, because raw is species appropriate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts