Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rescued a 3 year old cocker spaniel who may have epilepsy, as she has had 2 seizures over the past 4 months.

We live in the woods and she loves being outside. I want to try my best to avoid a toxic flea or tick treatment.

Does ANYONE have a dog with epilepsy and has found a very safe way to prevent EITHER fleas or ticks? (besides keeping the dog indoors, checking for fleas and ticks each night very carefully, washing their beds and blankets, vacuuming, or giving them baths)?

Desperately searching... but, I worry nothing exists... I don't want to risk her having more seizures by giving her toxins. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,909 Posts
Have you talked to your vet? My Aussie has seizures and we use Frontline Plus on her; we've never had any seizure that seems to correlate to the Frontline.

But, I imagine every dog is different so your vet may be able to give you a rundown on what might work. Does your dog take meds for epilepsy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,437 Posts
I had a dog with idiopathic epilepsy that was well controlled with medications. I also used Frontline Plus. Ask your vet as that is the best source for advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies and mentioning Frontline. I will ask my vet. I also may take my dog to a neurology specialist, perhaps they will have more understanding of what is safe for her. She has not been officially diagnosed with epilepsy, they say they won't test until she has another or until it becomes more frequent.

I have taken away items that be may possible causes of seizures: rawhides, toys from china, cleaning products, unhealthy food, etc.

Has anyone seen or used these? Pooch Protect Bug Repellent Wipes Pooch Protect Bug Repellent Wipes For Dogs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,437 Posts
Based on the oils in this product, I'd be wary. People often assume that essential oils are safe and harmless. Not always true for all dogs. Some dogs are highly allergic and or sensitive to this type of product. Natural, when used for marketing, implies that a product is safe. Grapes are natural and eating them can cause kidney failure in dogs. Ask your vet.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top