Dog Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
5,826 Posts
CHF really sucks :(

The only other diuretic that I'm aware of is apironolactone/Aldactone. My understanding is that it works differently from Lasix, and is not generally considered as powerful. I'm sure there are a couple more, but Lasix is by far the most common.

There are other heart meds that she can be put on too. We have boarding dogs that are on several. The ones that your pooch is on, the lasix, enalapril and vetmedin, plus others. I know one often used is hydrocodone, which is a narcotic pain reliever. It's not really a heart med in and of itself, but it helps with the coughing caused by an enlarged heart pressing on the airways. There's also Lisinopril, which is an ACE inhibitor like Enalapril. There are also others that are more specific to the condition of the individual dogs heart.

Anyway just hang in there. CHF is no fun, but can generally be managed pretty well once the right cocktail of drugs is figured out. Maybe ask about getting some hydrocodone to use as needed for those bad days.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.