Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boyfriends dog Ty has separation anxiety or something. We take him outside with my other 3 dogs ( who do nothing but sit there) when we leave and he sits there and barks for hours! Its really loud to and recently the neighbors have called and complained to the animal control.
I need help on what to do about this. I've heard of sound/ smell collars to help stop but I'm hoping I don't have to resort to that.
Please please please give me advice?:confused:

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
What kind of dog? How old? How much exercise per day is he getting? How much mental stimulation?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not sure what kind he is, a lab mix I think (from looks). He runs like a wild child through the yard ( SOOO much energy) so a lot. He could play all day and still sit there and bark. He plays with the other dogs constantly but when we leave him outside he just barks. Inside we leave him we noticed he barks for around an hour and finds something better to do. The bad thing about leaving them inside is they need to potty and do it in there, so we keep them out.
Weve tried squirting him and ignoring his whines but Im not sure what to do. Hes not the brightest dog in the world at all.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Don't squirt the dog. It doesn't help.

Have you considered training and playing games with him? Running around with the other dogs is not enough.

I think you should also look into potty training and/or crate training.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
27 Posts
Labs are usually medium-high energy dogs. Does he ever get taken on walks? If you and your boyfriend don't have enough time, you can hire a dog walker. Doggy daycare, is also another great option. When my aunt takes her dogs to her dog daycare, they barely can stand up at the end of the day. :)

He also needs some mental stimulation. Maybe you can get him interactive toys, such as a kong? I bet he would enjoy it, and some toys will keep him occupied for some time. That should help out with the barking.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree with Pawzaddict. I've always had working dogs...mostly retrievers...they need daily training and to have their instincts fulfilled.

I hide bumpers or even toys outside for him to find. I put him in a stand stay or sit stay, go hide things for him and then send him to find them.
Yep, he's retrieving a bumper from a tree.

If your dog gets at least one hour walk with you each day and some games of fetch you'll see a difference. The barking sounds like frustration to me.

I also agree with the crate training. Unless you are leaving the dogs alone for extended periods, if they are adult, they should make it through a normal business day without messing in the house. Dogs learn to look at their crate as their den. There are a couple of good sites on crate training.

Crate-Training for Adult Dogs - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!

Your New Dog

My guy still eats all his meals in his crate. As soon as it's supper time he goes there, sits and waits.

Hope this helps.

Hawk aka BrownDog's Momma

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice! Today he stayed upstairs with our family and was a good boy. We are going to buy him a crate and I've been thinking about getting a dog obstical course type thing, because I know theyll love it.
I've been thinking if its just the closed space that he hates. When we leave them all out in the living room where I used to live he was fine.
But I will try every thing, something is bound to work.
I would love a doggy day care for him, I don't know if there is anything like that around here thats not out of the way from work, but I will check!
lol I wish there was a doggy sitter I could hire. :p

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks for the advice! Today he stayed upstairs with our family and was a good boy. We are going to buy him a crate and I've been thinking about getting a dog obstical course type thing, because I know theyll love it.
I've been thinking if its just the closed space that he hates. When we leave them all out in the living room where I used to live he was fine.
But I will try every thing, something is bound to work.
I would love a doggy day care for him, I don't know if there is anything like that around here thats not out of the way from work, but I will check!
lol I wish there was a doggy sitter I could hire. :p
Sounds like you're onto something. :)

If your bf will help, agility and hiking (if you have a place where you can take dogs) are great fun for all of you. It can be fun, but a little frustrating sometimes training them. (One thing dogs and kids teach us is patience.;)) However, all they really need is basic obedience to start agility. There are plenty of people and on line sites that can give you help to start.

In puppy and basic obedience they often do the low dog walk, tunnel and jumps. Your bf, if he's handy, may be able to make a low dog walk and some jumps to start. You can find building instructions on line. :ponder: I also have weave poles for mine. We go for a walk in the morning and then make a couple passes through the weave poles before we go back inside.

Oh, when we crated him, we always left our boy with a toy with food in it. A lot of people like to leave a Kong stuffed with peanut butter in the dogs crate. It lasts him forever, and then he's usually ready for a nap. Some people hang a small bucket made to fit in crates inside with water. I started using the kind that can't spill...like a large hampster waterer when we traveled and just put that on his door if I leave him closed and crated. Unless there's something unusual going on, my boy has earned his freedom and has the run of the house. He still eats in his crate and sleeps in there lots, especially if we're out, we just don't close the door anymore. :dog-sleep:

Glad things are startin' to work out for y'all. :)

Hawk aka BrownDog's Momma

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Were getting a crate tomorrow, and look for some kongs for all of the dogs. Hes always fine if someone is there with him, but loses it if he gets left alone.
Im excited to get them some agility things, Ive been wanting to since I seen it on 'Its me or the Dog' haha.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just don't rush him, train him slowly to the crate.

It took my 9 mo old rescue female Chessie a couple of weeks to be happy in her crate. Don't just put him in and leave him. At first just get him used to going in and out and feed him in there. When you close the door for the first time, just do it for a few minutes, then treat and release. Gradually leave it closed longer while you leave the room for a few minutes, but stay within earshot.

The first time I leave them closed for any period I like to do it overnight while we all sleep. If you build up to it, they are usually happy and sleep.

I'm sure y'all will do great. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought him a crate today and a kong. We filled it with peanut butter and let him lick it for a sec and put it in the crate. Were going to train him that he only gets the kong if hes in the crate. I think it will work out well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts