Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I brought home a new pet bird last weekend. His cage is sitting on top of a dresser, so that the dog can't get to the cage. I like to sit next to the cage and read or sit on my laptop. Helps the bird become used to me, plus relaxing to read next to a bird.

I've been having a bit of trouble with Molly the dog though. Everything seemed ok for the first couple days. I thought Molly wasn't going to have much interest.

If I stand next to the cage and talk to the bird, Molly whines and stares at the bird the whole time. Just yesterday Molly has started staring and whining at the bird too much and has barked at the bird twice, even if I'm not paying attention to the bird. She did a little pounce toward it too. (Doesn't try to climb or jump though, thankfully). The cage is up high enough.

So now I don't let Molly in the room at all unless she is calm and not paying attention to the bird. I never let her in unless I am in there too. Once she starts whining and staring, I move her outside the room and close the door. But then she whines even louder and scratches at the door to be let back in. I let her back in once she is quiet. I can close any other door in the house and she won't whine at all, except the bird room.

Molly is super attached to me and likes to be with me at all times, but I can't let her in the bird room if she's going to whine/bark the whole time. Perhaps I was asking too much when I expected to sit with a bird and a dog at the same time. (BTW - I never open the cage door with the dog in the room)

I was just curious on how other people might address this problem and if you have any advice. Thank you! :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Maybe your dog get jealous with your new pet especially he can see that you are almost with the birds. I think you have to talk to him, and still give him attention like before you don't have a bird pet. Dog can understand if you talk to them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts