Dog Forum banner

Dog whining after TPLO surgery

12K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  nickardo 
#1 ·
My 6.5 year old pit/lab mix Scout had her second TPLO surgery a day and a half ago (first one was 3 years ago). Since we have returned from the vet she has whined for hours a day. It has been 36 hours and the whining/crying has not subsided much.

The internet seems to think her crying is likely due to lingering anesthesia effects but it has been over 24 hours and she is still crying. I reached out to my vet and they suggested Scout stop taking Gabapentin until she runs through her course of buprenorphine.

I have noticed that she seems to whine more after I have given her meds. She does not seem to be in pain as she is not shaking, panting, or licking/pawing at the bandage site. She is eating normally, but has only drank water once thus far (she peed a lot initially due to all the iv fluids).

So my question is, is the whining/crying normal? Should I be more concerned? It's hard to hear her cry so much and it breaks my heart. Is she overmedicated? Under-medicated?

After her first TPLO surgery 3 years ago I do not remember her crying much if at all.

Here is her drug regimen:
--Buprenorphine .98ml oral syringe twice a day
--Vetrprofen 75mg tab twice a day
--Cephalexin 500mg tab twice a day
--Methocarbamol 500mg tab every 8 hours as needed
--Gabapentin 2 100mg tabs twice a day --CURRENTLY ON HOLD

See less See more
#2 ·
This must be so distressing for you. The problem is we are not vets so any advice we gave would be purely based on observations in our own dogs. So I would have to say you need to reach out to a professional. If your own vet wont help then seek a second opinion. Maybe you could make a video of her so that you could present with evidence rather than them relying on your description also make a 24 hour diary, you say she whines more after being given the meds note that down, make a recording of her before and after meds we can all make guesses but the only definete help is going to be from a vet.
I really hope you get it sorted ..

#4 ·
Thanks Mad. Yeah it is distressing as Scout does not normally (ever?) whine. She is a very stoic dog normally. I understand we're not vets here; I was more hoping for other peoples' experiences. I definitely already have videos that I could show my vet. Getting a second opinion is a good idea, and that thought did pass my mind earlier. A journal is also a good idea. Thanks for your helpful message and kind words.

#3 ·
My dog cries for 24 hours after anaesthetic, but his appetite and behaviour can be affected for up to a week - on one occasion, a full week after surgery, when my hubby and I attempted to leave the house he had an absolute meltdown, using menaces to try to stop us leaving the house. The next week he was back to normal.

So this could well still be the effects of anaesthesia or simply the stress of the procedure but as others have said, it would be worth double-checking with the vet, particularly given the medications she's on.

#5 ·
Interesting to know your dog cries for 24 hours after anesthesia. Scout has had anesthesia before and this didn't happen so it feels abnormal.

That's crazy your pop had a meltdown a whole week after surgery. I guess all the meds, anesthesia, and overall stress can really affect these furry folks.

I think I'll see how Scout does tomorrow and if the whining doesn't subside consider a second opinion.

#7 ·
My 6.5 year old pit/lab mix Scout had her second TPLO surgery a day and a half ago (first one was 3 years ago). Since we have returned from the vet she has whined for hours a day. It has been 36 hours and the whining/crying has not subsided much.

The internet seems to think her crying is likely due to lingering anesthesia effects but it has been over 24 hours and she is still crying. I reached out to my vet and they suggested Scout stop taking Gabapentin until she runs through her course of buprenorphine.

I have noticed that she seems to whine more after I have given her meds. She does not seem to be in pain as she is not shaking, panting, or licking/pawing at the bandage site. She is eating normally, but has only drank water once thus far (she peed a lot initially due to all the iv fluids).

So my question is, is the whining/crying normal? Should I be more concerned? It's hard to hear her cry so much and it breaks my heart. Is she overmedicated? Under-medicated?

After her first TPLO surgery 3 years ago I do not remember her crying much if at all.

Here is her drug regimen:
--Buprenorphine .98ml oral syringe twice a day
--Vetrprofen 75mg tab twice a day
--Cephalexin 500mg tab twice a day
--Methocarbamol 500mg tab every 8 hours as needed
--Gabapentin 2 100mg tabs twice a day --CURRENTLY ON HOLD
I hear you on all this. We've gone through this TWICE. There's a channel on YouTube called RunAgainRover and they have really good vids to help. I subscribed. Maybe they will help you too!

#9 ·
So this is 2 years overdue but I wanted to thank everyone for the kindness and support!

It turned out scout was over medicated. I took her to a second vet to get another opinion and he advised me to reduce her pain meds. She was waaay better within a few hours of doing so.
Thanks again everyone and I hope everyone’s animals are happy and healthy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.