Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so here's the scoop: I have the one dog and two cats. He's a large breed dog and is pretty friendly around the cats, he enjoys playing with them and is really gentle 99% of the time with them. However whenever he's laying down (on his own free will, it's not like we told him to stay laying down) he'll just stare at the cats and whine constantly.

If a cat comes near us, he'll whine even louder (jealousy?). If a cat does something they're not supposed to, he'll whine even louder. If a cat doesn't want to play with him at that moment and walks away from him, he'll whine louder. He's grown up with these cats so it's not like they're new to him, he's done this ever since he was about 1 year old, he's now 2.

So even when he's just laying here, even half asleep, he'll stare at the cats wherever they are and just whine with every breath. Like he literally cannot breath without whining when a cat is in sight. It makes zero sense to me.

Things I've tried: (all while trying to teach him the command "Quiet")
- Ignoring him completely
- Spanking
- Yelling
- Time outs in crate (that sometimes stops him from whining if I put him in there with a blanket over his crate, but as soon as he's back out the behavior continues regardless of how many times we give him a time out)
- Squirting with water bottle
- Pinching his loose shoulder skin like some dogs will do when they gently bite another dog's shoulder if they don't approve of what they're doing
- Taking away toys
- Giving him a TON of exercise (people suggested that he just had too much energy and built up tension, so we tried increasing his exercise, nope. Then we tried playing him out so hard every day that he could barely even move or walk due to his muscles being sore, it still continued)
- Remote bark/noise collar, he only learns to be quiet when it's on him and it can't be left on him for long because it causes chaffing and irritation.

I have put days upon days into each of these methods and none have worked.

I've uploaded this audio clip of his whining just to show you what I deal with nearly 24/7 and considering I first posted about this almost a year ago here, you can see why I'm now at the end of my rope. (heck, I thought I already was a year ago! It's only gotten worse!)

Dropbox Link: (Audio is loud!)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f2xrshh3uphassy/DogWhining.mp3?dl=0

Alternate:
http://www.filedropper.com/dogwhining

At this point I don't know what else to do besides surgically removing his vocal chords, and that's not really an option to me. He's a good dog on all other aspects, and normally learns tricks and commands quickly. But no matter what it just seems like he cannot learn to be "quiet".

I highly appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks for reading.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Hitting and yelling doesn't work, usually makes things worse. You know your dog better than anyone else.

Let me tell you a little story, may be something, may be nothing...

I first met "our" dog when I met the gf. 1 year old, crate trained - spent all day in a crate... And personally, I hate that, but to each their own. Managed to break that cycle, and instead the crate became his safe zone. When he's stressed or whatever, that's where he goes. He's never locked in. Made big changes in the dog.

Couple of months later, her son decided to bring his farm dog into the city. She had her bed, the other had his kennel. She spent alot of time whining, felt bad for her, it's a big adjustment from having full run on a farm to city living. The dogs were weird with one another, there was no aggression at all, just weird. Jagger would be a jerk and take her toys and bones to his kennel, and she would whine constantly - but she wouldn't just stick her head into the kennel and take her stuff when he wasn't in it. It's like she respected his space, and I would have to dig her stuff out and put it back on her bed. I watched her one night, she stood outside the kennel a foot away whining for her toys and bone - but she wouldn't take them. Jagger was in the bedroom, and it hit me.

The large kennel was in the garage, took it apart, cleaned it, took the door off it - put in a sponge and a blanket. As weird as it sounds, problem solved. She wanted her own space, just like he had. Jagger learned to respect her space as she did his. No more whining, all the weirdness went away.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My dog has been crate trained but he's not in there all day, just at night that's where he sleeps. He also sees it as his safe zone. In his mind, we always put him in there to sleep at night for his own protection. That's how he sees it.

If a stranger comes over that he doesn't know well he'll instantly run to his crate and whine or bark from there. Or if there's a loud noise outside that scares him, he'll run to the crate and whine. He feels safe there.

If it is a weird jealousy type of thing with the cats, I can't really allow the huge nearly 100lb dog to sit on the back of the couch like the cats, or sit in window ledges like the cats. That's really all I can think of that they do that he doesn't (besides eating cat food lol). And the cats are 7 and 5 years old and have been allowed on the back of the couch and windows all of their lives so can't suddenly take that away from them to make the dog feel less jealous. :/

And I know spanking and yelling doesn't work, I only tried it as a last resort. It doesn't work just like anything else on my list of attempted methods. :(

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Ok, so realistically, have you ever removed the cats from the situation to see if the dog changes? Bar them in a room away from the dog for a while, see what happens...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have taken the dog to visit family members before for a couple days in a row (the cats are independent enough to be left home for a few days with no problems) and while there he doesn't whine too much at all in comparison but he instead seems to bark a lot more when hearing noises outside which is likely because it's a different setting.

He does still whine though, it just goes from about 80% of the time to maybe 30% of the time.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I have taken the dog to visit family members before for a couple days in a row (the cats are independent enough to be left home for a few days with no problems) and while there he doesn't whine too much at all in comparison but he instead seems to bark a lot more when hearing noises outside which is likely because it's a different setting.

He does still whine though, it just goes from about 80% of the time to maybe 30% of the time.
But that's in a place that is not his turf. It sounds to me that you have a dog with a confidence problem, like he's not sure what he should be doing with himself. Getting back to the farm dog for a moment, she was protective of little dogs - but almost in a prey drive sort of sense. When small dogs were running around, she would get intense and whine, like it was her job to protect, and she wasn't sure how? If that makes sense?

Take the cats out of the equation for a while, lock them in a room somewhere and see what happens, it's not suggested as a permanent solution, just a trial to see if they are the real issue.

Went back through your postings, Burnese/Amstaff cross but if your dog is near 100 pounds, it's probably a safe bet that it's mainly Burnese? Either way, both dogs are working dogs. Couple of maybe's here. Any way to refocus the dog by giving him a job to do, or some purpose for mental stimulation - frisbee? Tracking? Mental toys?

Maybe your dog is looking at the cats like it's a job for him that he should be protecting - you mentioned when the cats are doing something they shouldn't be, he whines louder.
Maybe he's looking at the cats in a way that he wants to herd them?
Maybe there's jealousy, cats got full run of the home, but he's getting scolded.
Maybe it's out of boredom?

Exercise is great, but a dog with no purpose... Since I've been stimulating Jagger with hunting, he's really changed for the better, it's the minpin.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I wouldn't use adverse methods anymore, as you can see they don't work.
Try redirecting him with a toy when he starts getting whiny, or give him something fun to play with. Or when he starts to whine remove him from the room, give him a minute to calm down. Then bring him back, if he whines again remove and wash rinse repeat. If he doesn't whine even for a second give him a treat.
Here's a video that show's you how to train the quite command, it might work for whining too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp_l9C1yT1g.
What kind of dog is he? what kind of mental and physical exercise does he get daily?

A couple other things I just wanted to add,
I wouldn't exercise him so much that he can barley walk, its not good physically especially if there not used to it.
I know you already said you don't want to take out his vocal cords which is good, but even if you did it doesn't solve anything, they can still bark (and I think whine) anyways plus that's a major, unnecessary surgery.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I can sortof relate. I have an 11 month old boy who has always been vocal and whines when he is uncertain about something or feels he is 'inconvenienced'.

For instance, whenever we drive together and he sees that I am starting to park the car, he starts to whine in the car...which is really annoying when you're trying to concentrate on your parallel parking job! He just gets so anxious about the anticipation of getting out of the car, I guess. My solution for that was he does not get out of the car until he stops whining. He's getting better, but still a work in progress.

When he gets out of the car and we're in a new place he's never been before, he starts whining. What really works is redirection. I give him commands like Come, Look, Touch, play games, Around.... any commands, really...then he's too busy to even think about whining!

So, maybe you can try rediction...? The point is they should eventually learn to think about something else other than what is causing them to whine.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Some dogs just whine and talk a lot. My boy Tynan is like that. He whines when he's happy, when he's being petted, when another pet is being petted, when he's excited, when he's upset, when he's bored, when he's hungry, when he's tired, etc. He wasn't as whiny as a pup compared to as an adult (he's 6 years old now).

·
Registered
911 Posts
Shorty whines, a lot. I honestly don't even hear it anymore. He does what you said, whines with every breath, sometimes I find it kind of funny. Normally about an hour or so before diner he will start non stop until I feed them. He whines when he is excited or just because sometimes. I have no idea what you could do to stop it.

Reactions: Sabina88
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.