Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 8 year old Pomeranian who wants to go out multiple times a night. I brought her to the vet and ruled out medical issues. It was determined that it is behavior related.

Any ideas on how to break this habit?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Are you sure there are no medical issues? What sort of tests did you vet run to make the determination it's behavioral? 8 years old is getting up there, and if she IS peeing or pooping when she goes out that sounds like she just has to go, and might be having a smaller capacity to control her bowels and bladder. But if she's just going outside to sniff around and play that might be behavioral. I mean, if you *really* wanted to test if it's just behavioral, you could not let her out, and see if she pees and poops in the house. If she does, I'd say she really has to go, and if not, it might very well be behavioral. But no one really wants the dog to go in the house like that. You also don't want to now teach your clearly housetrained dog that she won't be let out when she tells you she has to go.

Honestly I'd ask the doctor to run some more tests or get a second opinion before you go the behavioral route. I don't really see why a dog would be doing this if she's not getting something fun out of it like playing or fulfilling the need to relieve herself.

Reactions: JasonW

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
If you are sure it`s not medical it could be that she doesn`t get enough exercise during day.

Dogs sleep a lot and don´t usually stay up for the night for no reason.

Try walking her a bit more and also before bedtime.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I have an 8 year old Pomeranian who wants to go out multiple times a night. I brought her to the vet and ruled out medical issues. It was determined that it is behavior related.

Any ideas on how to break this habit?
I had a dog that did that.When I realized she really didn't have to go I just said no go back to bed. After ignoring her a few days she started to sleep through the night again. The only way to test it is to ignore her and see if she goes back to sleep.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I agree with secrets, I would try upping the exercise needs and see if that makes a difference. (I would do both physical and mental.)

·
Banned
66 Posts
Does she sleep in your bed? If not, maybe she just wants attention and doesn't need to sleep as much as she once did.

I married a lady with a beagle rescue. The dog would think of reasons to wake my wife up all night long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts