Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My rescue dog that I adopted 2 months ago recently started vomiting bile. He's vomited in the morning twice and once at night. I looked up information on Google search and tried to space out his meals, but it hasn't worked as effectively as I thought because he still threw up once in the morning yesterday and at night today.
Before this past week, he's never had this problem so I'm not sure what might be triggering it. Please note that when I rescued him I fed him a variety of treats and boiled chicken along with his kibble, but I stopped feeding him anything but kibble for the past 2 weeks because he has a food allergy that leads to ear infections. So I don't think he's vomiting because of what he's eating since I only feed him the same kibble he's been eating for the past 2 months, and I think I'm feeding him enough because his fat layer is slightly thicker than it should be!
Are there any methods that anyone used to stop their dog from vomiting? I would GREATLY appreciate any tricks or tips to help my poor pup :(

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I would suspect meat intolerance as being the problem. Try a single protein food and get a meat your dog has not had. My dog had that problem and it turns out he can only tolerate turkey. All other meat cause stomach issues. Throwing up bile , eating grass, not eating, stomach noises. Foods to try Zignature or Go sensitive and shine. Both are grain free and single protein foods.

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
If it is due to an empty stomach and not a food intolerance, then try breaking his meals into 3 small ones. Portion out his food for the day then break that up into 3 small portions. Feed one in the morning, one at dinner, and the final one before bed. Doing that seems to work for my boy who will get hunger pukes if I allow his stomach to get completely empty.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Our girl, Samantha, had that problem for several years. We now feed her two to three times a day, and she keeps everything inside now, at least 99% of the time. I think the advice to feed smaller quantities more often is good advice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would suggest checking with the vet to have some blood tests carried out. There is a long list of possible causes of vomiting including organ failure. That can only be figured out through running tests. Meanwhile keep him hydrated throughout the day to replace the loss of fluids through vomiting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts