Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live in a semi-wooded rural area, with lots of hollow trees and stumps around our lot. We've always had raccoons living on our property, and even with chickens, I've just learned to accept it.

But my little 13 pound dog has decided that he HATES raccoons and will go after them in a heartbeat. Usually they go up a tree, I can call him off and that is the end of it. I quit letting him out at night to pee, because he always found a raccoon to tree (he can go in the outside kennel area).

Earlier this summer, one took up residence in a stump very near the house and it drove him crazy. It took a lot of work to get him to leave the stump and get back to fetch or whatever. Eventually the raccoon got fed up and must have grabbed at his leg. Yogi started screaming and caterwauling so bad I thought he was being killed. But after he limped across the yard, I checked him over and he was fine (really a drama queen). The raccoon moved out of the stump.

Yesterday while we were walking down the hill, he took after a raccoon and I thought he treed it. But that raccoon was PISSED, apparently he turned around and went after Yogi. Yogi was screaming again, I thought for sure he was being killed. Then they both went racing out in front of us. My husband ran up and yelled at the coon, and Yogi ran towards my husband, cowering. I caught just the tail end of the raccoon heading into the brush, and he was HUGE! Yogi didn't have a scratch, thank goodness, but was very scared.

Now I'm totally freaked out about the raccoons. Apparently they are perfectly able to take on a dog, ripping out eyeballs, eviscerating and drowing them if they get a chance. My 13 lb. dog wouldn't stand a chance. Is it even possible that he has learned a lesson and won't go after them again? The stump incident didn't seem to stop him. Sometimes I think he is not the brightest dog. None of the cats I had would ever go near a raccoon, very respectful.

I'm going to work on calling him off, but I'm not sure I can catch him in time to make a difference. That big raccoon probably won't hesitate next time he meets up with him. How would you handle this?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, thanks for the feedback. This gives me some more ammunition for fencing part of the back yard. We have an acre, but I'd like to fence part of it off (the area we usually play in). My husband is very much against it. But if there is no way to get him to leave the raccoons alone, I think we have to do that. I never see the raccoons first, they come out of nowhere (or Yogi finds them) day or night. This area is full of them.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
The only way I know of to stop him that's fast would be a shock collar and I think those collars are cruel and there is a huge chance that it could backfire or cause all kinds of fallout. A long line or leash is a much more humane option.

How To Get Rid of Raccoons

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Susanlynn--the fence (I have designed it in my head) would be made of livestock panels (hog panels? the ones that have a bit smaller holes) with wooden posts. A raccoon could easily get over it, and Yogi could get under it in time, but he is not outside without us there, and not at night, so it is basically a strong deterrent.

Just the night before last, there was an "incident". Yogi has an inside room connected to an outside kennel via a dog door. He rarely barks, but I was awake and heard him barking in the house, then going out the dog door, yelping in fear, and immediately going back into the house and barking. Ran downstairs and turned the light on, but I had no contacts in and couldn't see anything.

In the morning, when my husband took him out, he immediately went to the perimeter of the kennel, and sniffed all over and marked. We believe that a raccoon was lurking outside the kennel, and Yogi came face to face with it when he went out. I'm concerned about why a raccoon would be there as there is never food in the kennel or in the room. My husband thinks the raccoon is stalking him, and would like to dispatch the raccoon.

On the good side, he did express quite a bit of fear, and immediately retreated from the outside. So perhaps he is developing a better sense of how to behave with a raccoon. I sincerely hope that is the case.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Raccoons are flight animals but when cornered or antagonized they will fight out of fear. I think they're lovely but like any animal they can and will do damage. I would highly suggest keeping your dog on leash at all times when coons will be about. They can and will kill or badly injure your dog if they feel threatened. They can easily reach 20 pounds and 20 pounds of fear lashing out at your dog is not good :( make sure if you build a fence to build one that can withstand a coons climbing powers! Even with a fence I'd still always have an eye on him in the yard if I were you. They're tricky and I've found them and possums in my 6 foot tall fenced yard before!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts