Dog Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need something i can carry pretty much all day in a bag and wont go bad or smelly, other than cheese do you guys have any ideas?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I use milkbone trail mix. Perfect for training and they don't spoil or smell (at least to the human nose anyway).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
holy moly those things are pricey, wonder if i can do something similar at home, i've got some googling to do.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I use Zuke's mini naturals. They're healthy and small, and low calories. They don't get smelly or fall apart. They may get a little harder by the end of the day(they're semi moist) but they won't go bad. They're also not expensive.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I get freezer burned steak, or tongue/heart/liver and dehydrate it. It was like $30 for a dehydrator and my dogs go NUTS for the stuff.

It will go moldy...eventually. I put it in bags and freeze it, then just pull a bag out at a time and keep it in the fridge.

It'll last a few weeks easily in the fridge.

For a day trip, though, it won't spoil or smell or anything, it's very easy to handle and it's a super high value treat. Seriously - my Cocker mix had a truly pathetic recall until I started using those as his reward and now he's a champ.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I used Chicken Rollover for our camping trip. Technically, it spoils (needs refridgeration after opening), but it looks a lot less 'spoilly' then, say, hotdogs.
There are cat treats with moist middles that I might try for a longer camping trip, and dry or semi-moist cat food, and one while I would NOT recommend as a food but do use as a treat is semi-moist Ol'Roy Dog Food (one kind comes in treat sized chunks) is very handy and cheap in a pinch.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My go to training treats are Charlee Bear. They look like little oyster crackers for soup and they never seem to get stale the way milk bones do. They also don't dry out like "tastier" treats such as Zuke's. All my dogs have liked them, although I don't consider them a high value treat, like jerky or freeze dried liver.

I've even left them in a winter jacket and forgotten about them. Months later when I put the jacket on again I discover them and the dog is just as happy to get them.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Cat treats are good and smelly(to dogs) and don't go bad.......Cat kibble works too, especially fish flavors!! Dogs always want what the cat is eating! Hahaha!!!!

Reactions: Artdog

·
Registered
176 Posts
I get freezer burned steak, or tongue/heart/liver and dehydrate it. It was like $30 for a dehydrator and my dogs go NUTS for the stuff.

It will go moldy...eventually. I put it in bags and freeze it, then just pull a bag out at a time and keep it in the fridge.

It'll last a few weeks easily in the fridge.

For a day trip, though, it won't spoil or smell or anything, it's very easy to handle and it's a super high value treat. Seriously - my Cocker mix had a truly pathetic recall until I started using those as his reward and now he's a champ.
Wait so... I could boil some chicken breast (or any meat or even vegetables), cut it up into little training size pieces, put it in the dehydrator, and it will look just like those tiny bags of overpriced $10 store bought dehydrated treats? And I can keep them in ziploc bags in my purse/bait bag for a training session several hours from when I took them out of the fridge and they won't really go bad quickly? :happydance:

I've been using cheese and it always gets hard as rock in 2 hours. :/ And I don't feel good feeding fresh chicken if its been out too long. But its the only thing my dog responds to in distracting environments. I don't like having to carry around an ice pack in a cooler all the time.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Orijen has a whole line of freeze dried treats that are awesome and Pax loves. Just pure meat...no other gak.

If you local pet shop does not have them, Amazon does.

The Purebites are good...just expensive!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts