Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I made these up when my dogs went grain free. The garbonzo flour is full of protein.
The dogs loved them.
FLOUR LESS PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
DRY INGREDIENTS
4 CUPS BOB’S RED MILL STONE GROUND GARBANZO BEAN FLOUR
YOU CAN ALSO GET GARBANZO FLOUR IN BULK AT SOME STORES
1/ 2 CUP GROUND FLAX SEED

WET INGREDIENTS
1 CUP UNSALTED PEANUT BUTTER
1 CUP UNSWEETENED APPLESAUCE
1 / 4 CUP OLIVE OIL OR VEGETABLE OIL
1 CUP WATER

PUT DRY INGREDIENTS IN LARGE BOWL

PUT ALL WET INGREDIENTS IN BLENDER AND MIX WELL

POUR OVER FLOUR AND MIX UNTIL SMOOTH

GREASE 9X13 COOKIE SHEET PUT THE COOKIE DOUGH IN THE MIDDLE OF THE COOKIE SHEET GREASE HAND AND SMOOTH DOUGH OVER THE COOKIE SHEET CUT INTO DESIRED SIZE BAKE AT 350 FOR 30 MINUTES

·
Registered
70 Posts
2 1/2 cups flour (some can be WW)
2 tablespoons peanut butter (I use unsweetened)
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 banana
1/4 cup oats
1 egg, optional
vanilla to taste
cinnamon to taste
chopped fresh or dried parsley, optional

Combine wet ingredients, mash up the banana, mix up the egg.

Add wet to dry. If the dough feels too dry or wet, add wet or dry to compensate.

Roll out thin, cut with a bone shaped cookie cutter.

Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes. I tend to lower the temp and bake them a bit longer to make sure they're crisp.

Makes a ton so freeze them as they'll mold after several days.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Very simple recipe I used for my first time making dog treats. Thing I like about it is, one it's very easy to make, and two you can add things to it to switch things up a bit. My foster dog is absolutely in love with these, lol.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups white flour
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup water
2 tablespoons oil

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Combine oil, peanut butter and water. Add flour, one cup at a time, forming a dough. Knead dough into firm ball and roll to 1/4 inch thickness.

Use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes, or simply cut into squares/rectangles. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes. Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know a few pretty yummy dog treat recipes. I am the founder and owner of my own dog bakery and every recipe I have is a dog's favorite.
The most simple recipe that I have, but don't use for my own treats, is to just use the flour of your choice (I use either whole wheat or rye) and add whatever you want the treat to taste like, like peanut butter for example, and water. Make sure it makes a dough that isn't sticky by slowly adding water. Also, the only downside to this recipe is that the treats will have a few air pockets, creating bubbles in the treats.

If you'd like, you can check out my Etsy shop amd see what I have to offer as well. I offer wheat free options and almost always have some sort of coupon active.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/HappyTailsRuffery

·
Registered
880 Posts
These are the recipes that I have made and are Trucker approved. All last about 2 weeks (fruit ones need to be refrigerated).

First:
1 1/2 cups oat flour (oats ground smooth)
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
3 tablespoons peanut butter powder or regular peanut butter (smooth or crunchy), peanut butter powder will be healthier
3 eggs
Add water till dough constancy

Combine all ingredients into a dough. Roll out 1/4 inch thick and cut into strips or with cookie cutters. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

Second:
1 1/2 cups oat flour (oats ground smooth)
1 1/2 cups whole oats
3 tablespoons molasses
3 tablespoons peanut butter powder
3 eggs

Combine all ingredients into a dough. Roll out 1/4 inch thick and cut into strips or with cookie cutters. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

Third:
2 cups oat flour (oats ground smooth)
1/2 cup tablespoons pumpkin puree
1/2 cup peanut butter powder
2 eggs

What he has now.

Fourth:
1 medium banana
1 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 cup flour (oat, whole wheat, unbleached, rye)
1 cup rolled oats
Add water till dough constancy (about 1/8 cup)

Combine all ingredients into a dough. Roll out 1/2 inch thick and cut into strips or with cookie cutters. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

Fifth:

1/4 cup blueberries
1 small banana
1/2 cup of milk (can be substituted by yogurt or water)
1 1/4 cup flour (oat, whole wheat, unbleached, rye)
2/3 cup rolled oats

Blend in blend fruit and liquids in blender, then combine with dry ingredients. Roll dough into 1" balls and bake at 400 for 15 minutes.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Anyone have some good dog biscuit recipes? :)
Some dog treat recipes (not given here but on the internet) call for garlic but it is part of the Allium family (same as onions, chives, and leeks). These are TOXIC to dogs and cause hemolytic anemia (the bursting of red blood cells circulating through the body).

Also when using peanut butter make sure to check for the HIGHLY TOXIC sugar substitute Xylitol ( has also been called "Natural sweetener" and "sugar alcohol").

Pet Poison | List of Pet Toxins for Dogs and Cats

·
Registered
880 Posts
Thanks @TruckersMom

I have a list hanging in my kitchen of foods that are toxic to dogs... with pictures so the kids know :)
I have no idea why garlic is used in treats and why the sugar substitute isn't pointed out to be aware of when a recipe calls of peanut butter.

·
Registered
453 Posts
A nice simple recipe I use is

some non-grain flour like the garbanzo bean flour
egg
canned salmon

Toss the salmon and egg in a food processor to puree everything then add flour until a ball forms. Press out onto cookie sheet lined with parchment or a Sil-Pat and cook at 325 till edges get brown and middle bounces back to touch. Let cool a little and cut while still a bit warm with a pizza cutter. So easy and you can add and swap different ingredients with no problem (tuna or peanut butter for the salmon, different non-grain flours or grain flours if your dog is good with grain-inclusive).

·
Registered
253 Posts
I just coat dry kibble lightly in meat drippings or bacon grease and freeze it. I try to stir it every once and awhile so it doesn't get hardened into a big blob. It is a great low cost and high value treat. I don'take it in the summer though because it gets too gross to handle !
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 12 of 12 Posts