Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
10 Things You Should Never Feed Your Dog

Dog food is for dogs and human food is for humans, and never the twain shall meet. Unfortunately, this is a rule that many dog owners do not follow when they feed their dogs "people food" and some suffer the consequences. There are 10 foods you should never give your dog because these items are unsafe, and in some cases toxic, for the pooch.

Chocolate- this is toxic for dogs and can therefore kill them. The caffeine and several other ingredients affect the heart and nervous system of the canine. Based on the fact that caffeine is toxic, coffee and tea are also on the do-not-feed list.

Bones- bones from real animals should not be given to dogs to chew on. They can splinter when the dog bites them and these splinters enter the digestive tract, causing harm to the system.

Grapes- this can be tempting because humans view these fruits as healthy, but they are not good for dogs. Grapes contain a toxin that can damage canine kidneys or cause them to fail. Raisins are dried grapes, so these should also not be fed to dogs.

Pork- though the dog may love it, this food is not good for its digestive tract. Dogs who have consumed pork frequently develop diarrhea, a sure sign that the food is not sitting well.

Mushrooms- these have toxins in them that can put a dog into a coma and may even cause death.

Milk (as well as milk-based products)- the lactose enzyme is needed to digest milk and dogs do not have enough of this enzyme. Dogs love ice cream, but owners should resist the urge and instead purchase frozen treats sold especially for dogs.

Onions & Garlic- they both contain ingredients that can affect the dog's red blood cells. Eaten in large quantities, these items can cause the dog to become anemic.

High sugar and processed foods- dogs cannot digest these well, so they should not have them. Foods containing artificial fats and sweeteners are also harmful to canines.

Foods that are spicy or rich- these can harm a dog's stomach. A dog does not need additional spices or other added ingredients in order to enjoy its food.

Spoiled foods- do not use the dog as a trash compactor. If the item is not able to be consumed by humans and is headed for the trash, that is where it should go. Dogs can no more tolerate rotten foods than can humans.

So there it is, 10 foods you should never give your dog without expecting the pooch to become ill or develop a serious health condition. Some of these foods are more harmful than others to dogs, but each should be avoided. Doing so will save unnecessary trips to the vet and the guilt of knowing that the reason the dog is ill is because of the humans in its life.

·
Registered
7,550 Posts
Correction:

Mushrooms- these have toxins in them that can put a dog into a coma and may even cause death.
Certain mushrooms. To be safe feed none, but many we eat are harmless...

Pork- though the dog may love it, this food is not good for its digestive tract. Dogs who have consumed pork frequently develop diarrhea, a sure sign that the food is not sitting well
Yes the dreaded nitrates...but you should probably share that instead of just insinuating about the runs....

Milk (as well as milk-based products)- the lactose enzyme is needed to digest milk and dogs do not have enough of this enzyme. Dogs love ice cream, but owners should resist the urge and instead purchase frozen treats sold especially for dogs.
Myth..the guy at the gas station who came onto you was mearly trying to let you know there was a killer with an axe in your backseat. Also myth...
Dogs like people can be lactose intolerant. Most aren't.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Dog food is for dogs and human food is for humans, and never the twain shall meet. Unfortunately, this is a rule that many dog owners do not follow when they feed their dogs "people food" and some suffer the consequences.

Bones- bones from real animals should not be given to dogs to chew on. They can splinter when the dog bites them and these splinters enter the digestive tract, causing harm to the system.

Pork- though the dog may love it, this food is not good for its digestive tract. Dogs who have consumed pork frequently develop diarrhea, a sure sign that the food is not sitting well.
I disagree that the two shouldn't mix. There are many different "people foods" that are very good for dogs and they can and should be given in addition to their own food. (Also superior dog food is made from people food so that is a bit of an oxymoron IMO) :)

Also, not ALL bones are bad and some do not splinter or cause any digestive issues. ;)

I've been considering alternating with Orijen's Regional Red Formula, again (which contains pork) so I'd be very grateful for any links that support the "no pork' theory. :ponder:

·
Registered
616 Posts

Dog food is for dogs and human food is for humans, and never the twain shall meet.
I take it you're not big on raw feeding (feeding dogs raw "human food" meat)?

Actually, the twain do meet.

Honest Kitchen is dehydrated raw dog food...that has been tested on humans for taste and quality. So there. :p

·
Registered
616 Posts
I've been considering alternating with Orijen's Regional Red Formula, again (which contains pork) so I'd be very grateful for any links that support the "no pork' theory. :ponder:
I don't have any definitive answers (I see a lot of varying answers, which is enough to make me wary if I hadn't have tried, unlike, say, chicken which is almost always considered good and fine). I follow it though because Wally does poorly with it (diarrhea, lethargic) unless in small quantities, so I cut it out entirely and haven't had a problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
how to train your dog to sit:
"The first step in training your dog to take a seat requires finding a quiet location. Make sure that the dog is just not ready to eat or wanting to go in the bathroom. Ideally you will possess your whole dog's attention. Using a tiny treat is appropriate here, but you can even use a clicker or some other type of positive reinforcement. You need to remain in keeping with your generally approach to dog training here. If you choose to use a treat, it is possible to hold it over your dog's nose and slowly move it above his head"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.