Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just bothers me so much when people get a dog and have not a single idea on how to train it.
Today I came across a person with a overweight Nova Scott Duck Tolling Retriever. The person had the dog wearing a front clip harness on a pull-out leash and claimed that the harness wasn't working for her and didn't keep the dog from pulling. :headbash: Dog owners can get so defensive when you even offer the slightest amount of advice on how their are training their dog. I politely pointed out to the person that getting a regular leash and redirecting the dog might work better than a pull-out leash. What did I get? A huff and a puff, how dare I tell them how to train their dog?
I don't know but the ignorance some people have... I just seems like that people do zero research when getting a dog, especially a working breed like a toller????:hammer: And you'd think that the owner would know that such a dog would take down their house if not sufficiently exercised, but noooo, the dog spends eight hours a day locked up in the house and is a just such a naughty dog for no reason.
It seems to me like the ignorance is becoming more and more common. I attended an obedience seminar two weeks ago. One lady had a wild German Shepherd that would not stop pulling. He was wearing a prong collar low on his neck. :eyeroll:. The lady was telling me how her dog would lunge and pull even with the prong When I tried to show the woman how to properly fit it, it was once again, none of my business how she trains her dog. She was obviously not fit to own a high energy breed like this and should not be anywhere near a prong collar with her lack of knowledge. Seriously, people act like training tools are something you just throw onto a dog and hope for the best.:mad:
People ask for help and immediately get angry when you point out the thing they are doing wrong? I don't know folks, but this just bothers me to no end.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
When they ask my advice then proceed to ignore what I tell them I never bother trying to help them again.

I also try and resist offering advice if the person does not ask for it, sometimes it's hard when I can clearly see what they are doing wrong. The last case in point was the person who was trying to house train their puppy with little success. She claimed that she'd tell the pup no and give it a tap on the rear for peeing in the wrong place, the pup had the run of the house, little supervision during the day, and just would not quit having accidents.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I too sometimes find it impossible to not offer advice when I see people doing something wrong or stupid. And I've also seen someone walking a dog on a head halter with a retractable leash. I just laughed though. It was ridiculous. With that I don't even see it as criticizing their "training" but rather telling them they're using it freaking wrong and rendering the training tool pointless. I can't deal with stupidity. Often I feel like I'm a bad dog trainer because I struggle a lot with the physicality, and sometimes my anxiety gets the best of me...but when I see other people? Yeah, I'm doing a lot better. But you do have to expect people will respond negatively when you point out they're being an idiot.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I usually don't offer advice offline, because I'm not a professional trainer and just do things how they fit for me and my dog. (in forums it is different, because it is more a discussion than an advice or teaching someone.)
Especially when it comes to "training tools" I'm not the most experienced, since imho you don't need them to train a dog. patience, consequency and rewards are more fun tools and work just as well...just with less money involved.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Often people just want a sympathetic ear or to vent frustrations...
If they do not point blank ask for an opinion or ask the other person to show how he does something, there's a good chance they aren't actually looking for help from that person.

If they do ask for help, they also don't always listen to or follow through with advice... Even from a trainer they are paying, nevermind a helpful fellow dogowner.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
880 Posts
I got a dog with no idea how to train him but I did know how NOT to train him, if that makes sense. I don't "trust" a lot of advice I receive so I end up read up and doing tons of extra research on it and deciding if it is sound advice or not before proceeding only because most people where I live have never seen a Coonhound before much less a highly reactive Coonhound.

Reactions: Rain

·
Registered
30 Posts
I do not engage with average dog owners. Period.

It is not worth my time I'm afraid. I am not an expert by any means - I showed conformation dogs until I was eighteen, then I got a pup to be my working dog. I had grown up around working dogs but never owned one. I managed to teach him a few things, but I never realized how much I didn't know until I went to the Schutzhund club. From then on out, I will not be around people with little experience who behave that way. If you are willing to learn, I will help you - If you are not, you do not need to bring your dog near me.

I never realized how a well trained dog would respond, until I was at club one day and a random stray ran out and attacked a dog on the field - A fight ensued, but all I remember was the handler just screaming "PLATZ!" at her dog. The dog hit the floor, the other dog still putting him under attack, and did not move. Another person drug that dog away. That dog would rather have been killed by that stray than ignore his owner's command. That was awe inspiring for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts