Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone

someone gifted me 2 puppies and it turns out that it's not easy!!! they are out of control and i don't know anything about dogs

i want to know what to do : resources, books or anything. please tell me

·
Super Moderator
706 Posts
Ok, first maybe look for information on littermate syndrome. Two puppies are three times the work of one because you have to train everything separately with each one, then both together.

Kikopup on YouTube has some great training videos but if there is anything specific you are looking for please shout out. Easy Peasy Puppy Squeezy is a book that is getting good reviews.

Generally speaking, it's best to reward behaviour you like, ignore behaviour you dislike.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Owning dogs is a lifestyle and will require a lot of time and effort from you. Are you sure you have the interest, time and knowledge it takes to be caring for the dogs? What breed are they? How old are they?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes a puppy is hard work and littermates are even harder! Definitely watch lots of YouTube videos! They prepared me for my puppy. Zak George's Training Revolution is very helpful with basic information. He just got his own puppy and shows what he does step by step to train his puppy.

If you're willing to buy a book, I would also recommend reading "Decoding Your Dog" by The American College of Veterinary Behaviorists. Gives you info on normal vs. Not normal behaviors, how to change undesired behaviors, what to expect, and how to understand what your dog is telling you. I learned a whole lot about my dog from that book.

100% enroll them in a puppy class as soon as possible. The class is well worth the money. It will teach YOU above all, and will help your dog learn potentially life saving commands like stay, come, leave it, and wait. This is just personal opinion, so do what's best for you, but I stay away from classes at big box stores like PetsMart and PetCo and opt for professional trainers who do it for a living. In my experience, they are more knowledgeable and the classes are more in depth.

It's good to see you on these forums! Reading about other people's difficulties and solutions will definitely give you ideas for your own training. This forum has helped me quite a bit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Watch the professionals too. We paid to have a pro come to the house for training sessions. Paid up front for multiple lessons. Whatever treat she repeatedly gave our dog for following commands gave the dog colitis for a couple weeks. Never had the pro back...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts