Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today me and Blackjack went to the vet for his boooster jabs and his annual checkup and the vet noticed that his canines were showing signs of wear, I regularly check his teeth but i hadn't noticed this until the vet pointed it out to me. Obviously its in its early stages but we want to stop it happening now.
The vet asked if blackjack carries a ball or toy a lot, Blackjack rarely lets his ball leave his mouth unless he is having a chewing session with his kong. Is it more likely to be the ball (a rubber bouncy type) or his kong (one of the Black "extreme" ones) or both? Has anyone had this problem before?

Also does anyone have any idea what toys I could give him other than these, i don't think its fair to just take them away from him. He spends so much of his time playing by himself and when he's not playing on his own he's playing with me. So i think restricting access to his toys could lead to behavioral problems from boredom and frustration. The problem is other toys (tennis balls, rubber squeak toys) have never lasted him more than 5 minutes before he's started pulling off pieces and trying to eat them. So i'm at a loss of what to do, tough toys are destroying his teeth but less tough toys are pulled apart and potentially swallowed.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I wouldn't think that something like a kong would be abrasive enough to really wear down a dog's teeth. With my parents dog it was tennis balls.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Tennis balls are a common culprit. Under that thin felt is quite a hard/abrasive surface. Really common. Try rubber balls like Kong or JW.

Eta, just saw he doesn't carry tennis balls. I'm not sure a soft rubber ball could cause the same damage.....
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm, i just realised we do let him play with plastic bottles. Its only occasional and under supervision but maybe that could be it. He likes to chew the opening of the bottle and I always let him until bits started dropping off because I didn't see the harm (then i took it straight off him, didn't want any plastic swallowed) I guess that part of the bottle i pretty abrasive. Thats the only other thing i can of as a possiblity. Unless he does something stupid like chew the metal railings on stairs when he's left alone. Or could a rope toy cause it?

I won't give him any more plastic bottles to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My 12 year old Springer wore her canines off because of her obsession with a jolly ball when she was young. Vet asked if she chewed on her kennel, because of it. The jolly ball was the only thing that could have done it. She would chew the handle off and then carry it in her mouth constantly while outside & the constant biting down did it, I guess. I think it has to be influenced by the individual dog's teeth also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts