Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I've never posted here before, but after something my dog did at the dog park today I wanted to ask other people's opinions.

I have a 2.5 yr old 40 lb heeler/beagle/... Male. He's an extremely shy and submissive dog with people. Holds his own with other dogs. Usually will play chase with a few select dogs, but for the most part hangs with me or plays with his sister (10yr old 50lb coonhound female who get along well but are rough with each other ). Today at the park, there were two unfixed huskies (wellie (my male) has historically "not liked" huskies). They engaged sniffing with each other, and one of them started to display and act dominant. Wellie snapped at him and the other dog kept crowding him. I recognized that and we walked away. The other dog came up though and wellie started whining, head up in the air and very alert/tail up and kicking the ground with his back feet (like they do after they use the bathroom). He also kept spinning when the other dog tried to sniff him, and tried to put his paw on the other dog's back. While they weren't fighting (yet?) I got both my dogs and left bc my gut said that wasn't friendly/playful behavior.

So, am I correct in thinking wellie was displaying anxiety around the other dog (who was larger than him) and was trying to claim his space? He has had some bad experiences with aggressive dogs... Mainly him getting bit as he tries to run away.

Alittle unrelated background, both dogs run 2-4 miles with me prob 3 times a week and go for walks the other days. I don't like going to the dog park for the "dog interaction" (because they can play with each other) but I like for them to be able to run untethered sometimes, which they both like a lot.

Thanks for ur feedback!
Thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.