Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting desperate. My 9 year old lab/ridgeback mix will sometimes vomit water back up immediately after drinking it. It doesn't happen every time and varies in frequency, but does happen at least twice a week -- sometimes as often as a few times a day.

It's all things water. Ice, snow, liquid of any sort, IMMEDIATELY. Never food. I'm stumped.

Of course I took him to our vet immediately, but I recently changed states and don't really have much faith in this guy... My old vet was fantastic but the new one seems disinterested in diagnosing a problem. He just prescribed some $16/day pills and sent us home. Didn't even check for dehydration until I prompted him to do so.

Conan suffers from undiagnosed seizures which are well controlled by a steady dose of phenobarbital, but I don't think these are related issues. He hasn't seized in a long time and his levels were tested a few months ago and were slightly high, but within the normal range.

Has anyone heard of a problem like this? Can anyone give me advice?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
Only give filtered, purified or cooled boiled water from now on & tip it out & put fresh water in daily. Pour boiling water on the water bowl first to clean it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,347 Posts
Ours will sometimes drink too fast, and probably she gets air bubbles, but the result is an almost immediate loss of the water, or some of the water she just drank. Doesn't happen that often, but she sometimes gets in too big a hurry. Not sure I understand what the rush is, but?????????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
If you don’t have faith in this vet and he’s blowing away the problem I would find myself a new vet quick. Your dog should not be vomiting up water immediately as many as a few times a day. Find out what the problem is with somebody qualified.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top