Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! First of all I need to say that this is an amazing community and has helped my A LOT. thank you all for contributing and sharing your knowledge!

This is my first (personal:)) dog and we`ve encountered a new problem. I live in a place where pulic transport is excellent and FREE :) Needless to say I use it alot... I`ve invested pretty heavily into socializing my dog (she`s 10 months old now) and from day one have taken her on car rides /bus/ train rides.

She got used to the car very quickly and now she absolutely loves it!

But the public transit...

When she was really small (4-5 months) she was a bit afraid of the bus/tram, acted shy etc.. so whenever we went onto one, I gave her lots of treats... as in hoping that she`d start loving it :)

Well... she`s certainly not afraid of it anymore (she happily goes into them and wags her tail the whole way, she`s quite a goofball and likes strangers too).. and then.. about 5 minutes into the ride she starts whining... at this point I used to give her lots of treats to quiet her down (a mistake?). It`s gotten to a point that if I don`t give her treats throughout the entire ride (like non-stop), she starts SCREAMING. She has great lungs :eek:... the whole bus stares, some laugh, some look petrified. Although she screams like hell, her tail is wagging and there this mischivieous glint in her eyes :eyeroll:. (maybe this is a good place to mention that she also talks back quite a lot, like when she gets very crazy and starts chewing unappropiate objects and humans :) and I tell her NO she finds it hillarious and sasses me - with the same glint in her eyes)(I wonder what does that tell about me :ponder:)

I have a feeling that she`s treating me/the bus as a giant treat-machine.

So one day I just decided to ignore her screaming/yelling and didn`t give her anything. There were only 2 people besides us on the bus and I thought that if the driver kicks us out then be it, it`s worth a try... well it worked. She yelled in the beginning for a while and then settled down & just looked out of the window. The problem is that I can`t let her "scream it out" when the bus is full (which it usually is).

The other time she`s quiet is when she`s super-tired but I can`t always quarantee that (it might take 3-4 hours of walking).

What do you think? Am I interpreting the situation correctly? Is she throwing a "fit"// trying to get treats? If yes, what would the solution be? I though about a muzzle but that seems cruel and more like a shortcut than a real solution.

Or is it something else? The crowd? I personally don`t think so because she`s used to being around a lot of people and has no problem walking in a big crowd... she`s not afraid of people. And I`ve been doing this about twice a week for months...... Maybe it`s not enough?

We also visit caffees/shops/friends so she`s used to strangers insides also...

Sorry if I`m missing something basic...

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I'm beyond jealous that the city you're in allows dogs on the bus. We're only starting to get a bylaw in saying smalls animals (all species) in cages about the size of a cat carrier can get on the bus. I think it's an attempt to get people to spay and neuter their cats who don't have access to a vehicle. Other than that, only service dogs allowed.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm beyond jealous that the city you're in allows dogs on the bus. We're only starting to get a bylaw in saying smalls animals (all species) in cages about the size of a cat carrier can get on the bus. I think it's an attempt to get people to spay and neuter their cats who don't have access to a vehicle. Other than that, only service dogs allowed.
I`m sorry to hear that :(

In here the dog has to have a passport, shots and a muzzle... (but most dogs go without muzzles and nobody minds). No ticket is requiered for the dog.

I think it`s pretty reasonable if the dog is well-behaved (ehm). I`ve never heard of any bad incidents.. dog`s who do not behave are just not brought on public transit..

·
Registered
150 Posts
The next time the bus is sparsely populated, let her "scream it out" again. Reward her a few seconds after she quiets down. If she starts screaming after the first treat, wait it out again, and again reward her for silence. Reward her occasionally for sitting quietly, gradually spacing out the rewards. Right now she thinks screaming = treats. You need her to think that silence = treats!

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I was about to say what Clegane said. Definitely work her when the bus is relatively empty. It might be a good idea to try keeping her off the bus when it's extremely full until she's doing better with quieting down on less-pupulated bus ride. Mixed messages will just confuse her.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!

We`ll start practicing tomorrow :) I`ll try to pick a time where there`s less people.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just wanted to give quick update and say that things are progressing really well.

We`ve been on the bus 3 times now since this thread and it`s so much better. She almost doesn`t make a sound! It`s unbelievable how .. silly I was :)

Now she only gets treats when she`s quiet as opposed to whining/screaming her head off :) And today when we came back home, I didn`t give her ANY and she was still quiet !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts