Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

We recently (1.5 months ago) moved to a new home where a strange incident has happened. My dog Casper (Labrador aged 12 years and 4 months) has thrown up several times in the night on 2 different nights within a period of 2 weeks. He was his usual self and never threw up in my old home and never had any digestion related issues as we never feed him any human food. He is on senior diet since past 4 years and has only been given carrots or apples as treats.
On the night of 21st July he threw up around 4 or 5 times. We found some grass (he regularly likes eating grass so nothing to suggest stomach trouble) and his regular food in his vomit. Luckily he was okay during the day and hence, I didn't take him to the vet. After that he showed no signs of tiredness or restlessness so all was okay. On the evening of 2nd Aug he again threw up at 9pm and carried on with it 4 or 5 times until 2 or 3 am. We found his regular food and pieces of a dental chew that he had eaten on Sunday evening but nothing unusual. He was again his normal self in the morning. That morning we saw a bottle of animal repellent on a table in my neighbor's garden right next to the fence that separates our gardens. I'm not sure if any animal repellents can cause such vomiting in dogs who inhale that smell. Since we have recently moved, I'm not comfortable in confronting someone unless I'm very sure that the animal repellent is the cause of the vomiting so can please someone advise me here. I've done my bit of 'Google search' but didn't come across anyone reporting such a direct cause effect relationship so I thought it's best to ask on this forum. Can someone please help as this is very odd and it has never happened before with my Casper and I'm very worried that it might happen again. Plus his old age is making me even more paranoid.

Thanks in advance,
worried mum

·
Registered
455 Posts
Please take him to the vet right away. So many very serious things can cause vomiting like that and there's no way anyone can diagnose him over the internet. I fear it may be something serious at his age though. Please keep us updated.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
See a vet and if he can't find anything wrong it could be a meat intolerance. It can happen at any time in a dogs life. Weather on the food for years or weeks. Meat intolerance causes stomach aliments. If you think it might be this you need to find a meat your dog has never eaten and the food has to only have one meat in it. Be careful because a lot of foods have one meat and then a different fat. Foods like Zignature or Go sensitive and shine only have one meat.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
A 12 year old dog suddenly vomiting, I have all sorts of concerns. He really needs to see a vet.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I'd get him to the vet.

I doubt that the smell of animal repellant could cause such a reaction.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All,

Thanks for your replies and here's what happened after the last vomiting incident posted above. My dog threw up once again at 3 am on 13th Aug and I immediately booked a vet appointment for the 14th morning. He was seen and the physical examination has only shown that he has lost a lot of weight almost 3.5 kilos since he was last weighed in Feb-March which according to the vet is not a good sign at all. So we got a blood test done which shows lower levels of hemoglobin but he hasn't reached the level of anemia according to the vet.
New problem - after he had that incident on 13th aug... I did not feed him until 8 pm that night and he was fed only little bit of boiled chicken. Even the vet advised to just give him chicken and white rice (both just boiled) in small portions as many times as possible and completely stop the dry dog food. Now the issue is that this has stopped his regular bowel movements. When he was on the dry senior dog food he ate twice a day and pooped twice a day (rarely it was once a day). Now he does not poop at all on some days which is so strange. Thursday (13th) he had black colored poop and on Sunday he pooped which was partially red. He has not pooped at all on Saturday, Monday and even this morning. The chicken and rice remedy instead of doing good seems to be turning matters worse. He drinks less water now and sometimes does not drink at all unless he is coaxed (drank plenty after eating dry food). Can someone please help me? The vet said he will investigate a bit further because the black colored and red colored stools can be indicating something very bad like cancer but nothing can be confirmed without an ultrasound. Please can anyone who is experienced guide me here.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
All,

Thanks for your replies and here's what happened after the last vomiting incident posted above. My dog threw up once again at 3 am on 13th Aug and I immediately booked a vet appointment for the 14th morning. He was seen and the physical examination has only shown that he has lost a lot of weight almost 3.5 kilos since he was last weighed in Feb-March which according to the vet is not a good sign at all. So we got a blood test done which shows lower levels of hemoglobin but he hasn't reached the level of anemia according to the vet.
New problem - after he had that incident on 13th aug... I did not feed him until 8 pm that night and he was fed only little bit of boiled chicken. Even the vet advised to just give him chicken and white rice (both just boiled) in small portions as many times as possible and completely stop the dry dog food. Now the issue is that this has stopped his regular bowel movements. When he was on the dry senior dog food he ate twice a day and pooped twice a day (rarely it was once a day). Now he does not poop at all on some days which is so strange. Thursday (13th) he had black colored poop and on Sunday he pooped which was partially red. He has not pooped at all on Saturday, Monday and even this morning. The chicken and rice remedy instead of doing good seems to be turning matters worse. He drinks less water now and sometimes does not drink at all unless he is coaxed (drank plenty after eating dry food). Can someone please help me? The vet said he will investigate a bit further because the black colored and red colored stools can be indicating something very bad like cancer but nothing can be confirmed without an ultrasound. Please can anyone who is experienced guide me here.

I had my dog on chicken and rice for a good month trying to clear up the colitis that he had. What I discovered with my boy is that he did not do good on that much chicken so I switched him to turkey and rice and started blending it with a bit of water to make it like pate, that helped a bit but not much. I then did a lot of research and found that rice isn't the best thing to use and canned 100% pumpkin, or cooked sweet potato, is a better option. Pet Diarrhea Causes, Symptoms and Treatment
How to Alleviate Your Dog's Diarrhea in 24 Hours - Mary Vance, NC
My dog did much better when I switched him to that, and got him off the chicken and rice.

On either my dog did not drink much at all, that's because the water content in it was so much higher then his normal dry kibble diet. He also started only pooing once a day rather then his normal 3 to 4 times. At first I was very alarmed but after talking to my vet, and doing more research I learned that it's likely because the turkey and sweet potato is very digestible so there was less undigestible food that the body needed to get rid of.

The black and red colored stool is alarming to me, and I'm hoping that maybe your dogs GI tract is just very irritated. If I was you I'd get the ultrasound done so that you know exactly what you are dealing with and in the meantime try switching her to either lean ground beef with as much fat as possible removed from it, or ground turkey, and sweet potato or pumpkin.

I hope your girl is alright and nothing serious is going on :huddle:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts