Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, my dog has been being a real big pain! She is a 2.5 year old boxer. She has been tearing up the carpet in front of the front door, and the molding on the side of the door in my apartment! She does this whenever we leave her after seeing her for a short time. For example, I take her for a long hour walk in the morning and normally she will be alone for about 6 hours until my boyfriend comes home, and she does great… no tearing or destroying; however if I come home for lunch and then leave she goes total destructo! I even take her on an hour walk at lunch ( just like we do in the morning). Same thing if we leave in the evening, even if we are home for hours, and give her a long walk before we leave. I don’t get it! I understand she may get anxiety, but why is she ok after being alone all day, and not ok if she gets two 1 hour long walks within 7 hours? When we get home she does like to play sometimes, but she is completely calm when we are home. I also take her on walks at night, bike rides, sometimes the dog park, or my parents where there are other dogs to play with. She is very fit, in shape, and gets a lot of exercise! As one can imagine this is becoming a large issue for us and I don’t know how to fix it! I would rather take her on multiple walks so she gets exercise, but she does better when she is alone all day.. I know they have sprays that taste bitter, but I think she claws and scratches so I don’t think it would be potent enough. Does anyone have any ideas or can help me? Please, and advice is appreciated! :):huddle:

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Have you tried giving her something like a filled kong when you leave after coming home mid day? It might give her something to occupy herself with. If that doesn't work (or you could do this instead, or use one in conjunction with the other) you can create her after you leave for the days you come home mid day. Just to keep her from destroying the door and eating any parts of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts