Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dog Swallowed Rib Bone Whole

My dog, Trooper, a 3 Year old 75lb Chinese Sharpei mix swallowed a whole cooked 1" x 4" long spare rib bone. Monday morning my vet was able to see the bone still in the stomach via x-ray. We opted to take another film in the afternoon on Monday to see if there was any progression, and at 3PM the bone had begun to move down, headed toward the upper intestines. After he spoke with some colleagues, we decided to wait and see for the night and the take more x-rays the following morning. Since he is not symptomatic of a blockage.

Tuesday, we took 5 more films through out the day, the bone is no longer viewable. He did present with mucousy bloody diaherra, consistent with colitis that evening, so we started him on 750 mg of metronidazole twice a day.

Today, I originally had the intention of having a barium swallow done but after considering the fact that he has not vomited once, and although he does have colitis (assuming from all the fatty pork on the bone). He has been eating and drinking with no issue, and seems alert, happy and active. So we opted for one more x ray and to then continue our wait and see approach. He is a very nervous dog, and anytime he is at the vet for an extended amount it is very stressful for him.

I picked him up an hour ago and when we got home, he had a nice regular bowel movement. His Diahrrea has already totally resolved but alas, still no bone......

Poop duty sucks...

Any one been through anything similar? Thanks for letting me vent!! I will keep this post updated. I hate when you read online and people have a similar problem but they never share the end results, lol

Abby
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
Not with my dog, but with my son, after 3 days of poking through his poop, we found that piece of Lego! It was a 2 by 6 piece, so pretty uncomfortable, but the dr said its always better to give it a chance to pass before operating!
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top