Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Fergie (55 lb.) ingested a pieces of flat rubber piece about 1'' wide and 2.5'' length (maybe a bit bigger) from a Chuckit Ball 3 days ago. It's day 3 and she is eating and eliminating normally and shows no signs of blockage, but l can't find the piece in her stool. In the past, Ferg has swallowed a cat toy and vomited it out 2 weeks later. I came across an article in which the vet claims that 'if the object is greater than 1.5'' in diameter, it's likely to stay in the stomach," so the vet was able to induce vomiting for a dog who ingested something over a week ago. I have also come across stories of dogs passing foreign objects weeks later. And stories of dogs passing objects as big as light bulbs with the help of lubricant.

My inferences are

1) The piece is too big and remains in the stomach and thus induced vomiting might work.
2) The piece is slowing making its way in the small intestines, causing partially blockage, because Ferg is still pooping fine.

I am adding fiber like squash and olive oil in hopes that it would help keep the piece moving.

Does anyone have similar experience?

I will bring Fergie in for a X-ray but am hoping that there is the possibility that the piece would pass on its own with time. Also, is rubber visible on X-ray?

Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree that you need to check this with a vet. However, I can confirm that my (large) dog passed a (small) ice lolly stick two weeks after eating it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts