Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This is my first time using this forum and I'm hoping to get some advice. We have a 2 year old Chihuahua-terrier mix. She's the sweetest, most gentle little dog but she has lots of energy. From about the time she was 6months until about 3 months ago I would take her running every morning. Just a little 1.5 mile run around the neighborhood and she loved it. It took her a little while to get used, but after a couple weeks she would be dragging me around the neighborhood.

About 6 months ago I started taking her to work with me a few days a week. She was still running with me first thing in the morning, and then about an hour later we would walk .75 miles to the train and head into the city. The weather turned bad and rainy and even though she had run in the rain many times before, she suddenly refused to go out. I thought it was somewhat understandable, so I let her have a few days off. Then when the weather was better I tried to take her out again and she didn't want to go. She just sat on the sidewalk and refused to budge. I eventually got her to go, but the following days it got harder and harder. She now absolutely refuses to go anywhere first thing in the morning. She won't even walk. If I carry her a little ways, she still won't continue at all, but if I finally give up and head back home, then she'll sprint as fast as she can.

I've tried switching from her collar to a harness (then she REALLY won't move), I've tried going without her (she'll watch me leave from the window) but nothing is working. My husband is at home when we go and I thought that was part of it, but he was gone on business for a week and even then she wouldn't make it more than a few feet before begging to go back home. It's now summer and great weather (i'm in the bay area) but she still absolutely will not go.

The strangest is that she's totally fine walking to the train with me to go to work, she just will not go out for a run or walk first thing in the morning. She's also pretty hard to get out of bed in the morning. I'm not sure if she's just sleepy, but she was fine running with me for a full year every day and then all the sudden nothing.

Sorry if this is really long, just wanted to give as much info as possible. I'm hoping someone has some insight because she's got so much energy she could definitely use another outing in the morning and I miss my running buddy :(

Thanks for any responses.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Hmmm...
First thing I would do is to talk to your vet and have him/her take a closer look at your dog.:)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
A vet check is definitely needed, just to make sure it's nothing medical. But if that checks out, it could be an age thing - my mom's shih tzu use to love agility and getting up first thing with me when she was younger, but when she hit 3 year, she suddenly "forgot" all the commands and refused to do it anymore. She also dragged her feet going out on the morning walks (as in, stopped to smell ever couple steps, pulled on the leash, etc..), but once she can tell we're heading home, she'd pull and bounce back. And she loved her afternoon/evening walks. Now (after a bit of training and waiting), she'll go for walks in the morning but you can tell if it's before 9am, she'd much rather sleep in.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Since she runs home like normal I would say it sounds like she is bored with it. You might want to try bringing a toy she loves or buying a flirt pole to have with you so she has something to chase.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Since she runs home like normal I would say it sounds like she is bored with it. You might want to try bringing a toy she loves or buying a flirt pole to have with you so she has something to chase.
I wish we'd thought of this for Impulse! It sounds likes a great idea :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts