Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have a foster dog with me, Fred. He's a 2 year old wirehaired pointer (of what exact breed -- unsure). He's typically the most mellow, happy go lucky, playful dude. He plays a little rough sometimes, but if the other dog lets him know it's too rough then he drops off. Other then that he has zero problems with other dogs!

Yesterday we met with a prospective family that had 2 dogs. One was a 2 year old cane corso/malinois cross. This dog was SUPER intense and quite insecure. Along the walk the shepherd cross got a bit dominance-testy with Fred. Fred corrected sternly and things seemed to continue OK for a bit. Then while playing, the shepherd cross suddenly just went full on for Fred and the two got into quite a spat. We separated them and after that Fred (unsurprisingly) clung to my side and didn't really stray from it. Other then sticking by my side he seemed himself. This morning on our walk he seemed normal -- but we were out quite early so only came across one other dog.

This afternoon while walking we met a 9 month old Elo. Out of nowhere (I couldn't see anything the Elo was doing to trigger) Fred got quite aggressive with the Elo. The first time it was very minor, just a quick correction type growl/snap. The second time was stronger. I apologized, leashed, and we walked away. Fred did seem a bit clingier then usual throghout the walk - -but otherwise no outward signs of stress.

All I can attribute this uncharacteristic behavior is that he's a bit rattled/insecure from yesterday. What can I do to help overcome this and prevent these weird outbreaks from becoming a habit? Yesterday the shepherd-cross clearly started it and Fred was defending himself. But today it was definitely Fred initiating (not saying the Elo didn't do ANYTHING, but whatever it may have been was minor enough to be unobservable to me - Fred was responsible for escalating things).

I want to set up positive interactions, but if I can't see what hte other dog is doing it makes it hard to judge what will be positive!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sounds like the poor guy just lost trust of other dogs :( This is definitely something a dob rehabilitation shelter can help you with. After all, social rehabilitation is practically their bread and butter.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'd probably find some older, mature, and emotionally balanced and well behaved adult dogs he can socialize and have a playdate with. He will learn from them and they can set him straight again on any trust issues.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, just wanted to give a quick update!

The day after posting this I was grooming Fred and found a very sensitive spot on his haunch that I think had bled and then matted the hair. I checked him over after his spat with the other dog but must have missed this then.

This weekend the soreness seemed to be gone (when I "fiddled" with that area) and he was back to his completely relaxed social self -- playing nicely with all the dogs at the park and being outgoing/confident again. So I think the day after the spat he was just sore and being extra defensive (makes sense). Phew!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts