Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 year old Lab has suddenly developed separation anxiety. He destroys anything he can get in to. It's a completely new behavior in the last month. There have been no significant changes in our lives. If anything he is getting more attention since a new dog park opened in our community. I'm completely stumped why this would start happening after 4 years. It doesn't matter how long he is alone, he starts pretty much as soon as I leave, I've forgotten something and turned back and he's already started getting into things.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about that.

I'm not sure what happened to cause the separation anxiety (were there any changes in the house, family, schedule, ect?) but there are lots of good ways to help stop it.
A great way is to take your dog on a long walk before you leave, so it is tried and spent lots of time with you, so just wants to rest and not feel stressed.
One way that really works well is to get another dog to spend time with your dog while you are away, this helps dogs that are naturally more prone to being nervous.
Another way is to leave the house and wait until you can see or hear that dog being calm, then enter the house and praise it. I watched a video of a dog trainer who did this (he had cameras set up in the house) and after just a few days the dog no longer showed any stress when he left.

I hope this helps. Best of luck! : )

1 - 2 of 2 Posts