Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
I have a 3 years old Bichon Maltese, when I first got her as a puppy she learned so quickly. Every day till now she doesn't eat breakfast except 1 or 2 treats, on lunch I put the food in her plate but she always eat after we finish lunch at the table. As a dinner sometimes she eats cheese but not always eats dinner, and I put for her some treats too in another plate she eats them too.
From when she was a puppy there was one problem that every time a member of the family want to eat anything a sandwich, sweet, vegetables, fruits... literally anything we put in our mouth she starts begging to eat the same and if I don't give her she starts running away when I try to reach her with my hand. But somehow we tried to manage the situation by sometimes giving her or not depending if it's good for her health.
Nowadays, the situation escalated dramatically, she's not eating food from her plate anymore, keeps begging for food every time. stayed 1 day and half without food only the treats.
If I place her favorite food for a whole day in a plate even if I changed it 2 times, she's not eating, if I start chewing anything, literally anything, she starts begging and running away from me for a whole 30 min. Then she comes next to me, sleep, and doesn't even bother going to her plate.
I tried everything to fix this situation but nothing happens she just refuses to eat although I know she's over hungry from the way she's begging.
I once gave her small pieces of turkey in her plate she sniffed them and went away. I started eating turkey in front of her she ran like hell to give her. I tried to give her she ate. I went to her plate removed a piece and gave it to her she ate it too in a way you'll definitely say that she's starving. I gave her the plate she dumped it and walked away.
I changed 3 plates, and I changed the places of the plates but still nothing, I tried every tutorial on the internet too. I asked 3 vets, they said she's so healthy and nothing's wrong with her.
I really need some help, has someone got the same situation and found a solution for it?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Well.... this is a hard one because if she isn't eating you don't have much time to fix it. It's good that you took her to a vet and that the vet says she's healthy.

On the surface it sounds like a conditioned response. This isn't something that I have personal experience with but in general a conditioned response can be managed by conditioning a new response. In this case I probably don't have a "silver bullet" idea for you but as a start I would try this:

1) Try preparing the dog's food but put it on the same kind of plate that you are eating from. Serve it up on the table with the human food and then when the dog comes to beg for it, put the plate on the floor close to the table. See if she eats that. My guess is that since she is begging for human food that serving it on the "human" plate served from the table to the floor next to the table as you are eating might trigger her to "eat along". That's the idea but I have no idea if it will work for your dog.

If this does work then you can build on this to form a counter-conditioning strategy that eventually leads to an improvement.

2) It would also be a good idea to consult a trainer. If the vet said that there is nothing medically wrong with her then a trainer with experience with this particular issue (again, I am not that person) might be able to find the right way "in" to trigger the dog to eat. On the short term you're looking for a trigger that causes the dog to change her avoidance behaviour. Once you have that figured out the rest of the process will become clearer.

3) Finally, you might want to use some high-value, high-energy "treats" for her. I know some people use hotdogs -- or whatever you have locally. Some dogs would murder their owners for a hotdog. High value means that the dog REALLY likes it and high-energy means it is calorie rich, which your dog is probably missing right now. That's why I'm thinking about hot-dogs. At least for the short term. Various kinds of processed lunch meat are also things that dogs will generally go wild for.

I don't think hotdogs are healthier for dogs than they are for people (namely, not at all) so don't feed her this as her main food. The thing you're trying to get to here is to find a "hook" in some kind of high-value treat that she will eat most or all of the time. See if you can find something that she can't resist and try to condition her to want to eat it when you offer it to her in different contexts (walking, short easy FUN training sessions, and especially meal time etc.). Don't ask the dog to do anything complex to get the treat. You want her to associate this treat with something easy and pleasant. If this works then you could start adding small amounts of that treat to her food in order to trigger the response to eat it. If this takes root then you can wean her off of it as time goes by.

Finally about processed meats for humans. They are FULL of things that isn't good for your dog (or for humans), like salt. I want to stress not to give too much of it to your dog if this is what works to overcome the avoidance behaviour. Use small pieces as treats. If you can't see the piece when you are holding it between your fingers then that's the right size. Maybe someone else could suggest alternatives that might work as well.

So those are ideas that I would personally try if I were faced with this case. As I mentioned above, however, I'm not an expert with this particular problem so you're getting suggestions from a well intentioned amateur. Don't forget that and please consider consulting a professional for more/better ideas.

·
Banned
35 Posts
I think the suggestions above member has given are worth trying. I want to add that try to break bad habits. If you offer your dog a variety of foods, she may turn up her nose at her regular dry food to see if you’ll offer her something better, especially if you have given her wet food or human food. Stick to the same thing every day and only offer your dog her regular dry food to help limit her picky tendencies over time

1 - 3 of 3 Posts