Dog Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My dog has been vomiting none stop the other night. Prior to that she didn’t eat her breakfast at all but was still acting normal. Running and playing with the other dogs. I assumed she was just being a picky eater again and would like some chicken. So I didn’t think much of it.. until evening when she still refuses to eat and would just lay around the corner. I offered her some chicken and she did eat a little.

However, a few hours later she started vomiting the undigested chicken with yellow bile. After that she wouldn’t eat at all but she still drinks her water.

I immediately tried to contact the vet clinic even though it’s already in the middle of the night and a holiday at that (New year’s eve). And they told me that there weren’t any available doctors as of the moment. The earliest they could accommodate my dog was tomorrow at 10 am. For the meanwhile they advised me to give her sugar water to keep her hydrated.

So I monitored her all night and made sure she was hydrated until I could rush her to the clinic. Her vomiting got worse in the early morning. She would vomit every hour despite having an empty stomach and would now refuse to drink water. At 9 am she started breathing heavily and I got so worried but there wasn’t much that I could do for her.

But when I got to the clinic the vet didn’t seem too concerned. I told her that my dog has been vomiting the whole night and was getting weaker and weaker every hour. They took her temp and weighed her.

The vet didn’t ask that much questions which really bothered me. They didn’t do any blood tests or such either. They gave her IV fluids (Lactated ringer’s solution) and injected medicine for her vomiting. Then they let me take her home with her IV catheter and all. I was told that the meds and IV fluid would last for 24 hours. The vet didn’t tell me at all what was wrong with my dog.

After bringing her home she seemed to be getting better and would sometimes stand up and drink water. She also stopped vomiting. I tried giving her soft food (As instructed by the vet) after 6 hours but she would turn her head away and refuse to eat. The vet told me not to force feed her so I didn’t.

It’s been 13 hours since going to the vet and she hasn’t eaten anything yet. She looks really weak right now too. She doesn’t drink water but she still has her IV fluid so she she’s not entirely dehydrated. I don’t have the option to take her to another vet because I live in the countryside and the only available clinic is 2 hours away which is where I took my dog. I’m taking her to the same vet tom to get her checked again. Please I need some advice on what to do for the meanwhile.

·
Super Moderator
7,203 Posts
It is just possible the vomiting has made her a little bit anxious about eating. The most important thing is to keep her hydrated. If you can boil chicken or fish, offer the cooled water. Or, if she will drink the sugar water keep on giving that.

And if she will eat anything at all, like chicken or fish, I'd let her have whatever she would take (as long as it isn't unhealthy) - little and often.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If she was my dog I would want an xray or ultra sound to make sure she has not swallowed something. One of my dogs had similar symptoms and she was not a dog that even played with toys. When I took her to the Vet that is what they did and ended up doing surgery to remove part of her intestine and took another toy from her stomach. Rather be safe than sorry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.