Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been roughly a year since I went to the pound and rescued my Titan.

He is an unknown mix but has mastiff in him and we think some type of bully breed.

Over the past year the poor guy has had a bladder stone surgery to remove stones. He to the point where he had stones into his urinary tract. The vet who performed the surgery came out and showed me a paper towel that was covered with stones of all kinds.

I felt horrible as I thought I was the cause of all those stones in a short period of time.

Anyway, I took him out the other day and when he was sitting next to me I noticed that he had a couple of small crystals that were caught on his fur. I contacted the Vet and asked if we could put him back on that S/D diet for a short period of time to maybe help get rid of some of the crystals. They have yet to return my call.

My VET treats me as a burdensome owner as I contact them when I see things wrong with my dog. I've spent close to 7-8k on this dog in the year I've owned him. I think they would appreciate the fact that I care about keeping this dog well.

Anyway, the VET made a mistake and placed a food order late and now my dog has ran out of food as of today.. so I have two questions.

#1) the streams that my dog have when he goes #1.. is strong and steady with no issues. I seen those two crystals that one day.. so that caused concern for me, but I haven't seen any urine issues. Should I just maintain monitoring? My vet hasn't returned my call so I'm assuming they do not think it's an issue.

#2) He is out of his diet food (C/D food) ... I need to feed him before Wednesday which is when they will have his food in. Any suggestions? or will normal food be fine until then?

Thanks for any replies.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's been roughly a year since I went to the pound and rescued my Titan.

He is an unknown mix but has mastiff in him and we think some type of bully breed.

Over the past year the poor guy has had a bladder stone surgery to remove stones. He to the point where he had stones into his urinary tract. The vet who performed the surgery came out and showed me a paper towel that was covered with stones of all kinds.

I felt horrible as I thought I was the cause of all those stones in a short period of time.

Anyway, I took him out the other day and when he was sitting next to me I noticed that he had a couple of small crystals that were caught on his fur. I contacted the Vet and asked if we could put him back on that S/D diet for a short period of time to maybe help get rid of some of the crystals. They have yet to return my call.

My VET treats me as a burdensome owner as I contact them when I see things wrong with my dog. I've spent close to 7-8k on this dog in the year I've owned him. I think they would appreciate the fact that I care about keeping this dog well.

Anyway, the VET made a mistake and placed a food order late and now my dog has ran out of food as of today.. so I have two questions.

#1) the streams that my dog have when he goes #1.. is strong and steady with no issues. I seen those two crystals that one day.. so that caused concern for me, but I haven't seen any urine issues. Should I just maintain monitoring? My vet hasn't returned my call so I'm assuming they do not think it's an issue.

#2) He is out of his diet food (C/D food) ... I need to feed him before Wednesday which is when they will have his food in. Any suggestions? or will normal food be fine until then?

Thanks for any replies.
Our girl Lacey had bladder stones and was on the Hills C/D for years. Our vet kept her on it continuously to prevent further stones, and it worked. After her initial surgery for stones, they never returned. As a matter of fact she stayed on that food until about the last 9 mos of her life, when our vet had us switch to another Hills food for her doggy dementia.

On a side note, you shouldn't be made to feel like you're bothering your vet when you have concerns about your dog's health. It might not be a bad idea to consider a new vet.

Brandy
~Be the change you want to see in the world.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Our girl Lacey had bladder stones and was on the Hills C/D for years. Our vet kept her on it continuously to prevent further stones, and it worked. After her initial surgery for stones, they never returned. As a matter of fact she stayed on that food until about the last 9 mos of her life, when our vet had us switch to another Hills food for her doggy dementia.

On a side note, you shouldn't be made to feel like you're bothering your vet when you have concerns about your dog's health. It might not be a bad idea to consider a new vet.

Brandy
I forgot to mention that after her surgery, we tried regular diet to see if stones would come back. They kept a close eye on her pH balance, which quickly went the wrong direction. That was the reason for her continuous C/D diet, which kept the appropriate balance to prevent further stones.

Brandy

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Maybe you should monitor with ph strips to put your mind at ease. The prescription foods are for temporary use and aren't necessary unless there is a UTI. All dogs have crystals.
2. Struvite crystals do not require a change in diet. Because struvite crystals do not pose a problem unless the dog has a urinary tract infection, there is no required treatment for crystals, including dietary changes. If the dog does have a urinary tract infection, a prescription dog food will not cure it.
Canine Kidney Stone and Bladder Stone Prevention - Whole Dog Journal Article
Also its a good idea to make sure the water your dog is drinking is filtered or bottled. Keep the bowl clean.

·
Registered
614 Posts
You said you are seeing crystals? I find this odd because they are not usually visible to the naked eye, you need a microscope to see them, so what exactly are you seeing and where ? Do you have any pictures?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts