Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm new to the forum.

My dog has randomly began starting fights with other dogs. A couple of examples:

I often dogsit another dog and me and my dog stay over at the other dog's house. They've always gotten along but this most recent time I dogsat, when the three of us were sitting around my dog would get up and provoke the other dog. It seemed to be out of the blue - I know there are signs but it certainly seemed like the other dog was just lying on the floor.

I just moved in with my boyfriend and his dog. My boyfriend and I were watching a movie and the dogs were laying near us. My dog just got up, walked slowly towards the other dog and then I could tell from her body what was going to happen so I took her away. I'm not sure that was the right decision but I wanted to do something.

After separating them for a few mintues I brought them back together, made them sit, and then gave them each a treat. I pet them both at the same time.

Two questions: 1) how can I prevent my dog from starting these scuffles? 2) how can I teach them to get along?

The current plan is when one of us is home, that we let both dogs out into the house with us and if one starts a fight, give them a time out in their sleeping space. If we are both together, we keep them both out unless there is a fight, then separate them. If no one is home, we plan to keep them separate. I want them to associate fighting with removal from their desire (being with us) and not fighting with treats and happiness. I know I might just be hoping things happen too fast, but I'd love some feedback if this is a good plan or if there are better plans. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Hi. I'm new to the forum.
Welcome :)

I often dogsit another dog and me and my dog stay over at the other dog's house. They've always gotten along but this most recent time I dogsat, when the three of us were sitting around my dog would get up and provoke the other dog. It seemed to be out of the blue - I know there are signs but it certainly seemed like the other dog was just lying on the floor.
Was there a toy or a treat/food lying around? Did one dog have something that the other did not? etc....

I could tell from her body what was going to happen so I took her away. I'm not sure that was the right decision but I wanted to do something.
This is a good thing to do, remove the dog from the situation and give her time to cool down.

After separating them for a few mintues I brought them back together, made them sit, and then gave them each a treat. I pet them both at the same time.
This is perfect!

1) how can I prevent my dog from starting these scuffles? 2) how can I teach them to get along?
You do exactly what you are doing as well as try to determine what is setting off the conflict.

Now I have a couple questions :D

How old is your dog?
What is your dogs breed?
Same 2 questions for your bf's dog
Has your dog shown any signs of resource guarding with food, toys, treats, you, etc?
What type of training and exercise to the dogs get?

·
Banned
288 Posts
Ok I need more back ground on these three dogs. What are their breeds, ages, gender, are they fixed? How long has it been since you moved in with your boyfriend and his dog? Did you move into his place or a new place altogether? How was your BF's dog and your dog together before you moved in together? How long have you had your dog? How well does she walk on leash? DOes she pull? What are you feeding her?

ok that's eough for now. Answer those and I'll be able to give you a more specific answer.

One thing I can tell you now that I can prob. assume is that you just moved into your BF's place and kinda expected these 2 dogs to just get along with out any displays or realigning of the pecking order. It sounds like your girl is a strong type A personality that is use to being the Alpha bitch of the house even over you to some degree. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that your girl is between 2 and 3 years old. This sounds exactly like some of the behaviors you can see when a dog passes into the age of social maturity.

What you want to do in the meanwhile is strict, I mean STRICT supervision whenever they are together. Keep a grab line on your girl (a short leash on her collar usually about 6 inches long (I usually just cut a 1" puppy lead). and make sure you keep a collar on her at all times unless she's crated. You see your girl get up, stiffen, have her head low and stalking towards the other dog, you IMMEDIATELY take her into another room with a BABY GATE or 2 if she's a jumper, and seperate her. The reason for the gate is you want her to be able to SEE you interacting and being left out. IN the wild, the alpha dolls out the living space, and when a pack member crosses their boundaries they get told. Don't say anything to her when you're taking her away tho, don't scold her or yell at her, just CALMLY walk her away. YOu want to be FIRM yet FAIR in your dicipline when you have to uose it. After about 15 20 minutes let her out, be casual, don't stare at them and wait, that in itself can prompt another incident. Remember with dogs it's all about the BODY LANGUAGE and stares make dogs uneasy.

You absolutely DO NOT want to let this escalate to an actual fight, esp. if the 2 dogs living togetehr are both females. Bitch fights are SOOOO much worse than males fighting. Bitches WILL fight to the death or to cause serious harm, where as males only fight to get their point across and walk away. Bitches hold a grudge and comes to a point where they can NEVER be together no matter what. I had 2 females like that. Started fighting one day after the younger turned 2 (the older ws 2.6 yrs) and didn't stop. Any time the 2 saw eachother they just wanted to eat eachother.

So... waiting to hear back from the OP before posting any more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My dog is around 4. I've had her since she was tiny.
She's black 50lb mixed breed,some sort of shepherd I think - she has a long nose and likes to herd people together.
His dog is also around 4 and is a datsun/beagle mix.
Both are fixed.
I moved into his place.
My dog pulls on the leash. She's very nervous. His dog does not.
Both dogs can guard their respective owner.
I've not done any formal training but my dog can do basics. She's not great at holding but I'm working on it.
We've decided to walk them nightly and they ahve a yard to run around in with lots of access to it. My dog is high energy so now that I moved in I plan to take her to an empty field with a pond for half an hour a day.

I think it's possible she's stressed from all the change and probably hasn't been as active as usual because of my move.

I'm going to get some baby gates tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts