Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved houses two weeks ago and he had been perfect, no accidents and no chewing on things he shouldn't. This week he has popped inside 6 times, over 3/4 school days, chewed on two shoes and ran away 3 times. These are not things he used to do, and he's been getting plenty of exercise. He's about 8 months old if that's helps.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Have you taken him to a vet? Such a sudden, extreme change in his house-training might indicate an illness.

Otherwise, he's also probably more stressed than you realize with the change. What do you do when he has accidents inside?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I point at him and say no. I don't do anything like try to startle him because I'm not there while he's doing it. He could be sick, but he seems to have a lot of energy and in good health aside from the messes.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Just to make sure I'm understanding this: You come home, there's a mess on the floor. You point to your dog and say "No". Is that right?

Most likely your dog is confused and upset by the move and has regressed in his housetraining. Dogs don't generalize well, so while he may have learned not to go inside at your other house, he doesn't realize that the same rule applies in this house. You'll need to teach him that the same rules apply here as did in the old place. That means, taking him out and praising/treating him when he does his business outside and either supervising him closely while inside so you can catch him before he goes, or putting him in his crate when you can't. He'll probably clue in more quickly this time than he did the first time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.