Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

So, I have three dogs (soon to be four! Getting a new puppy in September. AHHHHH so excited!) : an eight year old ACD mix, a three year old papillion, and a one and a half year old Mini Australian Shepherd.

My ACD has always been the pack leader and generally doesn't like the other two getting in her way (though she does play with them on her own terms, only when SHE wants to-- go figure!)

The pap and aussie normally notice her "back off" cues and don't get in her way when she's eating, playing with toys, etc. But on occasion, my aussie and her will both want a toy at the same time and a squabble will break out.

What always happens is very loud barking and snarling. They get in each others' faces and clash teeth, but never have they actually bitten each other. From what I can tell, it's more of a screaming contest and it always results in the ACD backing down (even though she's typically the pack leader) and the aussie taking the toy.

These squabbles happen, oh, once or twice a week, maybe less. At first, I would stomp my foot and yell at them but I noticed they always resolved the squabble without my interference, and always within ten seconds or so. So now I observe and only step in if it lasts longer than normal.

My mom was visiting yesterday and one such squabble broke out. She seemed upset that I didn't immediately put an end to it and basically said I was wrong to not reprehend them.

So my question is, if they aren't causing any physical harm to one another and are resolving the squabble quickly, should I come flying in, yelling and stamping my feet anyway?

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
900 Posts
Squabbles are common in multi-dog households. As long as the resident dogs respect each other when there's a disagreement and aren't going for the kill, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Now, if the squabbles are becoming more frequent (multiple times a week every week), I would figure out what the trigger is and either eliminate it or work to make it less of a big deal to the dogs.

When there's a squabble or potential for a squabble to start, I ask my dogs to bring it down a notch. This usually is enough. Since my dogs are bigger breeds and can easily overpower me if hey were to seriously get into a fight, I end the squabble but never reprimand.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
So my question is, if they aren't causing any physical harm to one another and are resolving the squabble quickly, should I come flying in, yelling and stamping my feet anyway?
nope. if theres not a problem no need for a solution

1 - 5 of 5 Posts