Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my dog Rocky has snapped at my mom on two occasions now. Both times he has been laying in front of her chair and she has gone to sit down. The first time I thought she maybe startled him but tonight he did it again and he was fully aware. I have no idea why he is doing this she is in no way stepping on him or hurting him in any way. She got very angry tonight and said if he did it again he would have to stay put up in my room or outside. He has also started to bully my moms dog who likes to lay down in her chair. I'm not sure if he is "claiming" her chair or what but he suddenly has an issue with my mom and her dog. Right now I am just keeping him from laying down in her chair but any advice on why he's doing this and ways to stop it are welcome!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So last night he growled at my mom again but it wasn't hive aggressive growl. I know the difference and this one sounded like his inpatient, I don't want to do this so I'm letting you know. He is a very vocal dog, which is something we are not use to. I don't think this is aggression but him being annoyed and expressing that. Its still not something I want him to do cause my mom always reacts in anger by yelling at him. His behavior with her dog has also gotten worse over the past few days. Its been raining here so he's been cooped up since Saturday so not sure if that is playing a part in it or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So last night he growled at my mom again but it wasn't hive aggressive growl. I know the difference and this one sounded like his inpatient, I don't want to do this so I'm letting you know. He is a very vocal dog, which is something we are not use to. I don't think this is aggression but him being annoyed and expressing that. Its still not something I want him to do cause my mom always reacts in anger by yelling at him. His behavior with her dog has also gotten worse over the past few days. Its been raining here so he's been cooped up since Saturday so not sure if that is playing a part in it or not.
During these rainy days, are your dogs understimulated? Maybe I read too much in to it, but it looks as though they havn't been out much due to rain? If that's the case, leave your computer and walk your dogs, it can make the biggest difference in the world. Or simply challenge them inside with mindgames.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was raining yes and they where aloud to go into the yard to potty but that's about it outside due to our yard and road flooding. I do what I can to entertain them inside but my mom doesn't like them getting to ruff inside.

He has been to the dog park and on walks since and he still does it just not as often. There was three days where I couldn't get him to the park and he couldn't play with the other two dogs(they got in a fight and are injured) I did take him on walks but they are just not enough. I do training with him for about 10 minutes everyday.

For now I am just removing him from the area when my mom wants to sit down and am working with keeping him on the bed he has.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
16 Posts
You don't have to rough house with your dog to exercise him, dog's need mental stimulation very much like humans do. Some simple and cheap toys can be some solo cups placed upside down over some kibble or a treat. I'm sure if you promise to wash it before returning it, your mom will probably let you borrow a muffin pan. Simply place some kibble in some or all the cups, then place a tennis or racquetball on top of each cup. Then sit down on the floor with your dog, let him pull off each ball and encourage him for being such a clever dog for finding the treasure!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have never heard of that so will have to try that! We don't start off ruff but when I try to play with him the other two dogs get into the play and then they all go crazy lol. He also is extremely vocal which my step dad hates so that's something else I have to watch. My step dad actually hates my dog because he is so high energy and is an attention hog who insists on being pet.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
880 Posts
I meant to come back to this before and post this link. It has helped me to explain to my parents the different types of growls and barks they might hear from Trucker as he too is a vocal/expressive dog. I have explaint to them the different barks, growls, and some of the calming signals, and body language that he might exhibit and this has helped them to be more aware around him (knowing when to lower their eyes because he is scared, etc.)

Different Dog Barks
What Do Different Barks Mean

Understanding The Growl
6 Types of Growling

Calming Signals
Calming Signals Explained

Body Language Basics

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can show my mom and that will help with her but my step dad not so much. I have another thread in general about my issues with him. Today didn't go so well at the dog park for him. He full out attacked a 12 year old dog. He has never done that but he had him on the ground and was going at him. Luckily I was right by him and was able to grab him and move him across the park. The other dog was ok and I went and apologized. I got an earful from the lady and I really couldn't blame her and I feel horrible. No idea what go into him��.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
880 Posts
I can show my mom and that will help with her but my step dad not so much. I have another thread in general about my issues with him. Today didn't go so well at the dog park for him. He full out attacked a 12 year old dog. He has never done that but he had him on the ground and was going at him. Luckily I was right by him and was able to grab him and move him across the park. The other dog was ok and I went and apologized. I got an earful from the lady and I really couldn't blame her and I feel horrible. No idea what go into him��.
Posted via Mobile Device
So sorry to hear about your day. :(

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We are going to take some time off from the dog park. I will be taking him out to where I keep my horses on a training leash. He won't be very happy but I want to give him plenty of time for him to calm down.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 11 of 11 Posts