Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have a 5 year old Beagle (Sarah) and a 8 month old lab mix (Midnight). We got Midnight in October. Midnight is what we will call very affectionate, playful and attention seeking. She's also very submissive. Sarah has always been sweet mannered, laid back and just a great dog. We had Lucky in the house Sarah's whole life, so she has always been used to a housemate. So we slowly introduced them and things have been mostly fine. Midnight can be a very "in your face" dog and she really really doesn't get the subtle hints that Sarah was displaying (baring teeth, growling) to back off. After a month here at home they started playing together and getting along. There have been some skirmishes over new toys, but not bones. Midnight stares at Sarah while Sarah chews a bone and then swoops in and grabs it when she's walks away and Sarah doesn't care, or at least has never reacted. Only ever the toys. Like a squeaky barbell thing that was new, Sarah lashed at Midnight before it was given to anyone.

But the past two weeks we have noticed Sarah just "going after" Midnight for no reason. Tonight Midnight was just laying on the floor and Sarah started going nuts on her. It has happened at least a few times the past 2-3 weeks. Midnight never ever puts up a fight and immediately submits in all situations.

Do you think that this is all over toys and possibly some jealousy? Midnight is a ferocious chewer, I mean she can chew through anything in no time. So we keep trying to find new things that will last. Sarah's never been a big chewer. Sarah is always near one of us getting attention, so I don't think it's that. But then there are times that Midnight will lay across her (see profile pic) or next to her, walk over her (as she's laying down), etc and Sarah doesn't seem to care and will do nothing. Sarah will initiate playing with her and then within 5 minutes Sarah is pissed off and I have her come on the couch. Usually this ends it and I'm thinking maybe Midnight gets too rough with her. We have been teaching Midnight to "leave her" and she's been doing ok with it. We will have days between any instances and then something like today where something out of nowhere. But i did bring a new toy home yesterday, so maybe that is it?

I'd love any input and advice anyone has in dealing with this. I'm thinking I'll get two of each toy and then only supervised play time in separate rooms with it so Midnight isn't stalking her for hers? Or does Midnight just need to learn not to play so rough? Who knows, I can't really afford a behaviorist to come in for a while yet.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Get the book Fight by Jean Donaldson. It has a section on resource guarding. Keep the dogs separated when they have a toy or chew.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts