Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is a mutt, we got him around 2009, he’s about 7 or 8, we don’t have a precise age. About 5 or 6 months ago he was randomly acting strange, his stomach was bunched up, wouldn’t jump, wouldn’t eat. We took him to the vet who basically just felt his stomach and told us he’s fine. We fed him white rice, which I read is good for dogs with upset stomachs, and slowly he got better. Now this morning he was acting normal, then around 10 am the mailman came and rang the doorbell, he didn’t get up and bark like he usually does, he just sat down and started shivering. My dogs extremely sensitive to emotion, so he shivers when someone’s mad, sad, or even happy. But that wasn’t the case. He seems to be in pain. I’ve noticed lines on his lower stomach for months now, and they bunch up sometimes, but today they are really tight together. I have no clue what this is, and I want to take him to the vet, but I have no money and it’s up to my dad, who is also struggling with money. I wanted this forums advice before I wasted a visit on a vet again. Another note, he hasn’t eaten today because we ran out of dog food, my dad is getting some now, but he did eat a treat I gave him, he just wouldn’t get up for it. His stomach doesn’t feel very hard, it feels firm but it’s still soft. He is obviously in pain and growls if my hand goes on his stomach. Another note, he tends to go in the trash and eats paper, used tissue, and anything he can find. He used to also eat cat food but we have stopped that bad habit a few weeks ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
He should probably see a vet. Theres low cost vets and clinics if you look on your area online under low cost vet.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Definitely needs a vet, he eats non food items, could be an intestinal obstruction which can be fatal if not treated quickly. He could have eaten wire, a cooked bone that splintered, or anything else sharp that pierced his esophagus, intestines or, stomach. In any case he needs a vet ASAP.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My dog had many of these symptoms when she had an intestinal obstruction. My vet said if we had waited a day longer she would have died... Not to scare you, but I would definitely get it checked out ASAP. I wish you the best. I know how nerve wrecking it is to see your dog in pain.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts