Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I had all my dogs on the screened porch for some fresh air, as my house is pretty hot and stuffy right now. I was inside and they had only been out for about an hour, and it wasn't too hot. I went out to refill their water and noticed one of them (Cammy) wasn't able to stand.

It seemed like he couldn't bend his knees/wrists on all four legs and had been lying down, so he couldn't straighten them to stand up. He was shivering and seemed pretty scared, and crawled over to me when I came onto the porch. He whimpered a little when I picked him up, but it seemed more like fear than pain. I took him inside and he just laid on my lap like that for maybe 5-10 minutes, but then he went right back to his usual self, could walk fine, drank some water and ate.

It hasn't happened again or happened before this, and otherwise he is completely healthy. I will get him to a vet soon but I don't have much money to spare, so if it's not an emergency it would be better to wait just a bit longer.

Any ideas on what this is? How urgent is it if it doesn't happen again and he's not suffering? He's a three year old chihuahua.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Gonna second seizure, but I also think it might have been his back, a bulging disc, or pinched nerve can cause all sorts of problems. Until you can get him to the vet make sure that he cannot jump up or down off the furniture.

Reactions: Sha and amaryllis
1 - 6 of 6 Posts