Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help???
We've had our basset hound for about 7 years now. We got him from the RSPCA after he was rehomed several times. Lately he's been crying and barking whenever we leave him and it's become so bad that we can't even go to bed! (He sleeps in the kitchen with our other 2 labs). We have all recently been working a lot more so we're at home less, but they're never alone long. We're currently having to take turns to sleep on the sofa with him every night.
Can anyone suggest anything that might help? We do not want him to be rehomed again but he's clearly not happy. :(

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Is this a new behavior?

If you've had him seven years and he was rehomed a lot before that, I assume he's pretty old at this point. It's possible his hearing and/or vision is starting to go, so he's more insecure being left alone because he can't interpret his environment as well.

I'd first go to a vet and see what they have to say. If it's his hearing/vision, you may have success by either crate training him or gating him to a small area during the day, and having him sleep in a crate near you at night.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes this is new. He had recently been to a vet and he seems to be all okay. He still seemd very aware of his surroundings.
I'm afraid a crate may not go down to well with him as I believe he's had bad experiences in a previous home.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.