Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. I visited home when she was around 6 months old. Maybe a year. Freaked her out. To this day she is deathly afraid of me. Shes about 3 now. Around my mother she allows me to pet here.
Despite me giving her treats and feeding her. Gently reassuring that it's okay. She still does this. Thoughts?

Dog Name: Hope

·
Super Moderator
2,161 Posts
I would suggest that you stop giving her treats and petting her for now. That can cause even more anxiety in dogs, because they want the treat, but they have to approach the source of their fear, the scary person, to get it.

For the next two weeks if you live there, or the next dozen or so visits, I'd suggest you ignore her. Completely. Not even eye contact, because to a dog, direct eye contact is very intimidating. Also, position yourself so you are never between your dog and her safe place (bed etc) or escape route (door from the room).

Then you can try taking some lovely treats and tossing them past her, so she has to go away from you to get them. I realise that sounds counterintuitive but it helps her build a positive conditioned emotional response (google +CER for the science if you are interested) without having to.get too close.

After a number of days of doing that, put one of the treats on the floor, about 18 inches from your feet. See what she does. If she darts in, takes the treat, and goes off, then she isn't ready yet for this stage. So, as with anything in dog training, go back to the previous step for a bit longer.

When she takes the treat from the floor and eats it there, do that for a few days. Still no eye contact.

Once she has been taking the treat from the floor happily for a number of days, offer one from your hand, but again see how she reacts. Any lack if confidence (taking it and stepping back) again is a sign she isn't ready, so back up a step for longer. And still no eye contact.

Once she is comfortable taking treats from your hand (and I mean really comfortable) you can try petting her, but using the five second rule.

Stroke her for five seconds (some dogs prefer you avoid the head) then stop. Only if she initiates further contact by nudging you or similar, continue for another five seconds then stop again. Continue only for as long as she keeps asking. That gives her control and in turn that will build her confidence around you because she knows he can make it stop at any time.

Expect this to take weeks, or even months depending on how often you visit. But don't be tempted to rush it, take it at her pace.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She does bark. It's a little hard to ignore. By that, do you mean no talking? No interaction. Just ghost on her? She's interacting with a phantasm.

The rest makes sense. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
2,161 Posts
Absolutely that. For several weeks, pretend like she isn't there. I know it will be quite tough but by acting like she doesn't exist,she will start to see you as not being so scary. You are letting her get used to you without forcing her to have any interaction. I'm trying to think of a good analogy and all I can think of is from my diving days - sharks are inherently scary but if they are ignoring you and doing their own thing without paying you any attention, you do relax (honestly! )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts