Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog sat in gum and I want to clip it out rather than try to wash it. Every time I even touch that area he freaks out, and when I try to hold him down he goes crazy. Is there a sedative I can get for him to make him calm down so I can do this?

·
Registered
13 Posts
You don't have a local groomer? I don't see why a groomer couldn't do it for you without him being sedated. At my shop, we have over 2000 clients...I probably only have to ask 5 of them to sedate their pets. Most groomers that are well trained are very capable of handling dogs without sedation. Now I wouldn't recommend a petsmart/petco groomer lol! (Sorry if any of you are...my area doesn't do the place justice. We get dogs grom them half shaved that they couldn't handle that stood like angels for us). Dogs are a lot worse for their parents sometimes then they will be for a confident groomer. I'm sure it would be a lot cheaper then getting him sedated and the vet doing it!

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
You don't have a local groomer? I don't see why a groomer couldn't do it for you without him being sedated. At my shop, we have over 2000 clients...I probably only have to ask 5 of them to sedate their pets. Most groomers that are well trained are very capable of handling dogs without sedation. Now I wouldn't recommend a petsmart/petco groomer lol! (Sorry if any of you are...my area doesn't do the place justice. We get dogs grom them half shaved that they couldn't handle that stood like angels for us). Dogs are a lot worse for their parents sometimes then they will be for a confident groomer. I'm sure it would be a lot cheaper then getting him sedated and the vet doing it!
The dog is clearly in distress and in pain. If it's that much of an ordeal, it's probably better to sedate the dog rather than traumatize it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've shaved gum off tons of dogs and it really wasn't a big deal. If you pull on it yes, it hurts, if you make sure you get the blade UNDER the gum then it wont be pulling at the skin and hurt the dog. Its pretty much the same thing as having to shave poop stuck to their butts...Dogs act like everything is a bigger deal with their parents lol. My mom, whos been grooming for 30 years can't clip her own dogs nails...but her dog stands perfectly still for me to clip them. I dunno, she can go get it sedated and have the vet do it but I bet that will cost a lot more and take more time then just having a local groomer do it.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I've shaved gum off tons of dogs and it really wasn't a big deal. If you pull on it yes, it hurts, if you make sure you get the blade UNDER the gum then it wont be pulling at the skin and hurt the dog. Its pretty much the same thing as having to shave poop stuck to their butts...Dogs act like everything is a bigger deal with their parents lol. My mom, whos been grooming for 30 years can't clip her own dogs nails...but her dog stands perfectly still for me to clip them. I dunno, she can go get it sedated and have the vet do it but I bet that will cost a lot more and take more time then just having a local groomer do it.
I don't disagree that sometimes the owner is the biggest problem for a variety of reasons. But even so, if a dog is behaving as though it's terrified, it's because it IS. It's not purposefully doing it just to make a scene. And depending on how much gum and how deep it is, it could very well be pretty painful. I think trying a groomer wouldn't be a bad idea. But I would stay close and if the dog behaves the same way, go back to having it sedated by a vet.

I'm just really not a fan of basically forcing the dog down, making it "deal with it" and traumatizing it when the reaction is that strong. This is clearly an unusual circumstance, so it might be kindest for the dog to be sedated to avoid any fall out and fear. Trust me, I get that mentality....Clients bring you the dog and want X done, so you basically have to work through any aggression or fear. You gotta do it. But I'm speaking from the perspective that if this were MY dog, I wouldn't want to put him through that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I get what you're saying, I agree it would be hard to see your dog be put through that. But a lot of people get surprised by how their dogs act with other people. If the groomer really does have trouble then she could try the vet route to make her feel better :) I just hate sedating animals if they don't reallyyyyy need it. Some can have bad reactions to it. I do have one customer that gives her dog rescue remedy to try and take a little edge off her for her grooming, it helps a little...She refuses to sedate it for us so we just have to do the best we can and get the her done as fast as possible before she decides she wants to kill us.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah I personally would never sedate the dog unless it is absolutely necessary and gum stuck in the fur is definitely not necessary...Go to a local groomer. Dogs will experience pain/ discomfort in their lives. Its only natural. Don't worry about it, let the groomers deal with it :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts