Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling all dog runners...
Hello, I'm a final year University student studying product design. I am looking to design a product to encourage people to take their dogs running. Those who DO run with their dogs, what are the problems you experience running with your dogs?

Any other comments feel free to answer.
Much appreciated,
Alice

·
Registered
392 Posts
We run with our dog. Usually 2-3 times a week up to 10km. If we're running in the city we keep him on a short lead (1.5m) and on the beach or in the forest he runs off leash.

We experience zero problems. He runs in a 3 point harness and he pulls a bit for the first few minutes until his brain clicks in to what he's doing. The clip on the harness is on the back. It would be better for running if it were on the front so he would pull himself out of balance and click quicker into "ok, I guess we're running" mode.

The other thing we've added to the harness is a blinking light. At night this isn't even an option. Where I live dark clothing is pretty much the norm but when it's dark the dog has a blinking light on his back and I wear a yellow reflective jacket. This is mostly so that people riding bicycles and scooters see you a mile away and not at the last second. The light is a 3rd party accessory but it could be built in to the harness. Also, reflective material should be built in to the harness.

So, for running, I would buy a 3 point harness with a clip on the front that was made from reflective material and had a built in and rechargeable blinking light.

Does that help?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We run with our dog. Usually 2-3 times a week up to 10km. If we're running in the city we keep him on a short lead (1.5m) and on the beach or in the forest he runs off leash.

We experience zero problems. He runs in a 3 point harness and he pulls a bit for the first few minutes until his brain clicks in to what he's doing. The clip on the harness is on the back. It would be better for running if it were on the front so he would pull himself out of balance and click quicker into "ok, I guess we're running" mode.

The other thing we've added to the harness is a blinking light. At night this isn't even an option. Where I live dark clothing is pretty much the norm but when it's dark the dog has a blinking light on his back and I wear a yellow reflective jacket. This is mostly so that people riding bicycles and scooters see you a mile away and not at the last second. The light is a 3rd party accessory but it could be built in to the harness. Also, reflective material should be built in to the harness.

So, for running, I would buy a 3 point harness with a clip on the front that was made from reflective material and had a built in and rechargeable blinking light.

Does that help?
Thank you so much for all this information! I will complete further research in to the dog clip located at the front as that does seem beneficial for both dog and owner when running.

Would you be happy for me to contact you in the future with any more questions or information? If not, no worries!

Thanks again,
Alice

1 - 3 of 3 Posts