Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling all dog runners...
Hello, I'm a final year University student studying product design. I am looking to design a product to encourage people to take their dogs running. Those who DO run with their dogs, what are the problems you experience running with your dogs?

Any other comments feel free to answer.
Much appreciated,
Alice

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hello! I've no experience of running with my dog... chance would be a fine thing, my running days are over! But I wondered if you've considered the potential impact on a dog's joints, and what they get out of the activity? Pounding along for longish periods without breaks can be bad for their joints, particularly in younger dogs, and also can be about as exciting for them as running on a treadmill for a human. Plus you can end up with a very fit dog who is still bored and understimulated.

I'm not saying at all that running with your dog isn't something you should do - it's a great activity that many dogs will love and can benefit both dog and owner. But I'd like to see, as part of any advertising or packaging, clear guidelines on building up exercise gradually, and ensuring that the dog still has plenty of time to mooch and sniff, which are important parts of dog walks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi JudyN,

Thanks for the feedback! I totally agree, we do need to care for our jogs joints just as us humans do. I have been researching into the correct ways of warming up your dog also and why this is an important factor before running/ fast walks with your dog. I would love to design a simple information sheet using graphics on the damage too much exercise can do to your dog and the correct way to exercise with your dog.

Thank you so much again for your feedback!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I realise some dogs enjoy running as in caniX groups etc but on the whole I feel really sorry for dogs I see attached to their jogging owners..
They get dragged along where the owners want often long runs on hard pavements, they get no time to stop sniff follow a scent or interact with others dogs. Then the ones who are not attached to owners often get left a long way behind getting up to mischief and interacting badly with other dogs while the owner jogs on oblivious..

Sorry rant over... its just a pet peeve as are people who walk dogs while on the phone or with ear buds in... Walking the dogs requires your attention to be on the dog..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Enjoying our favorite sport accompanied by our beloved dogs is undoubtedly a unique experience that fills me with happiness. For example, I love climbing and whenever I can, and this activity is not very difficult for the dog, I try to take it. The other day in fact, I got some climbing holds and I must say that my mini bull enjoyed climbing more than me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts