Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Reward with a treat for 'down' and nothing else. If you have to start a step further back from that, sit on the floor, legs straight, knees bent and lure the dog under your knees with a treat, with the prompt 'Down'. Let him nibble but not take it as you leas him through so that he is really focused on the treat and not over thinking things. As soon as his belly and bum are touching the ground, pop the treat in his mouth and praise him.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Retrain down. The method that worked best for us was to lure into the down with a tasty treat. I click/treated for each increment closer to down, until we had a full down. At that point I began to use the cue 'down' before luring. During each phase I began with the treat in my hand, and once he saw there was food involved, switched to treat in the non-luring hand (after a couple of lures). Then we followed up with making the lure less and less (changing from lure to the eventual cue) and treating inconsistently (variable ratio).

After your down has been retrained, work on asking for down and over separately and make sure to only reward the behavior that was asked for. If he offers over instead of down, simply ignore him and ask again after some time has passed.

·
Registered
811 Posts
As others have said- retrain. I would also not use the command 'down' as that is now associated with rolling over.

And I would not consider retraining a 6 year old dog difficult. It's more your state of mind than his. I would look at it as training something new - which my dogs and I always think it's fun. Good luck and good fun.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I ruined my dogs 'down' by teaching roll over lol. It took a lot of retraining until laying down was even back on his radar and he still gets confused sometimes. I would cut roll over out of your training sessions while you teach him to lay down. Only bring it back in once you have a solid 'down' and even then only do sporadically at first so he learns that there is a distinct difference between the two behaviours :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sadie does all her tricks in sequence. I just let her get her excitement over them out before we really start. Once she gets her "break dancing" (as we call it), out of her system, she will go through them as directed. She just doesnt get her treat until she does it right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.